Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-07-2004, 04:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

LFS Advice vs. Web Forums

I scope out messageboards a whole bunch, and also spend a good deal of time hanging around in various fish stores in my area. At this point, I really think that people get much better information online than going to an average LFS. At a LFS, most of the ones I have been to give out the same information and methods to pretty much everyone. They each have a certain way of doing things that works for them and their tanks. For example, I see the same LFS reccomending the same snails to people in totally different situations because those are the snails they keep stocked and use in their tanks. Maybe not every need a tank full of Turbo Snails?

Keep in mind that a LFS can get away with a lot we might not be able to, because they spend all week with the tanks. There is often not a frequent exchange of information, just the LFS giving advice to customers, then the customer can do what they want with the advice. I have tried having discussions with LFS about new concepts and products, and usually get smacked down. I asked about Oceanic Salt last week, and Instant Ocean came up because I use some of that. I was informed point blank that, "Instant Ocean salt causes algae, buy Tropic Marin". Sure it does, just ask thousand of people that use IO without and issue...

Also, a lot of LFS owners and employees are simply not always searching for more informaiton regarding what they are doing. They know enough to get by and be consistent, but it can take a while to get them on new ideas. There is one LFS up here where the owner is great, and will listen to anything a customer has to say and consider it. That is a minority.

Now, online forums like this one get a huge variety of people from different areas, with different tanks, and different methods of keeping those tanks. There is a free exchange of information between posters, the information gets retained for later searching, and people online are generally open minded. Also, no one posting online has a financial stake on what you do. The LFS stays around because they make money off people like you and me. Posters online will give their opinion without a financial consideration in their head. You will find that most people online DO agree on most basic concepts and conform to a "right way" of doing things. If someone does give out really bad advice, there will quickly be people to counter it and explain why. Literally hundreds of people and thousands of post can take place before an messageboard settles down on a "right way" for that group of people. Also when dealing with complicated systems like reefs, it is critical to exchange ideas with others who have tried and failed, and tried and succeeded. Everyone learns from everyone else, and can report back right away after trying new things. Without this messageboard, my tank would very likely have had a lot more problems than if I listened to one particular LFS.

If you want into four different fish shops and ask the same question, you are usually going to get for different answers. Ask that question online, and you will typically get a collection of answers that are all quite similar because they all worked together to discuss the hobby.

Now, I know there are LFS owners and employees that are just as commited to learning as people here, and I applaud those people and their efforts.

Then it comes down to who do you trust. A LFS owner trying to make money off you, or the combined thoughts and ideas of hundreds of tank owners?

//Update: I should also add that I have gotten a lot of good info locally and do find them to be a valuable resource. However when a situation arises and the local places do not agree or give me question information, I go straight to the net.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 04:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I put much more stock in the advice given by my friends here at AA. I am fortunate in the fact that I have a very good LFS right by me. They almos always give good advice and even have a Marine Biologist on staff. However, 1000 heads are better then one. I do not look to this forum to correct bad LFS advice, rather, I come here to get more options and opinions. There are some LFS around here that do not have a clue what they are doing. Identify them early and just stay away.

Old 12-07-2004, 04:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Luckily, we have three good stores in the southern part of Maine with good staff (Port City Reef, Atlantis, and Aquatic Concepts). I would not say they agree with each other on much though, and each has their own quirks.

One of those three places tried smacking me down by saying that I was causing algae by using Instant Ocean. Another one told me not to worry about curing new LR even though it smelled like death, and another one encourages people with no reef experience to buy 7g tank as a starter and swears it is easy.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
Old 12-07-2004, 04:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

hmm call me crazy.....but didn't munsterkins just basically discuss this topic.....you post in his.....then copy his idea......or i guess im just crazy....i love fish baby

Creatures : • 2 Skunk Clownfish • • Dragon Goby • Blue Damsel • Plenty of Hermits and Snails • Horseshoe Crab
SmasticElastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 04:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Ya we have a number of stores in our area. There is a local chain that I wouldn't buy a snail from. Their stock looks like crap and they have made it obvious to me that they are after the buck and could care less about education.
We have 1 that is excellent and gives advise similar to what I get here and another 2 that are decent.
This still is the best place to come for experienced advice. We all run into many of the same dilemmas and can share our experiences and resolution of problems with one another. To me that is how solid standards can be put in place for such a volatile hobby.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:00 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
hmm call me crazy.....but didn't munsterkins just basically discuss this topic.....you post in his.....then copy his idea......or i guess im just crazy....i love fish baby
Um...OK and the point is??
Old 12-07-2004, 05:00 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Similar, but not the same. Munsterkins is a lot about his tank and situation in particular. I actually had this post typed up in there, and moved it to its own thread since I felt it was different enough to warrant a new thread. Also, I wanted to focus on the LFS vs Internet aspect of this.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
Old 12-07-2004, 05:09 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes Smastic, What is your point...besides you "love fish baby"? If you do not have anything constructive to contribute, please do not bother posting.
By the way...Welcome to AA!!!
Old 12-07-2004, 05:09 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to hisc1ay Send a message via Yahoo to hisc1ay
The two LFSs that I call home are decent because at each store there is someone who is a frequent on Reefcentral.com, which is usually where I go for most of my reef needs. I trust both of those guys because I know they know what they're doing and are connected to the vast web of reefkeepers around the world. They're both very active in our local "scene" with our swaps and stuff. It's handy!

But I agree. I come to AA to ask opinions and see what many others are doing, not just one guy at one store. And it's easier than driving around to each store and asking for an hour about stuff. Especially about products and livestock because then I feel beholden to the store to buy something.

-j
Old 12-07-2004, 05:14 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

This site has been invaluable to me. Even though I have been a marine hobbyist for many years, technology changes as well different things such as substrate, wet/dry systems, etc. Before I buy anything, I always refer to this site first since there are so many knowledgeable people here that are always willing to help. I think this is a great site!

Mike

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com