Lfs busted...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reygan2

Aquarium Advice Addict
On a whim I decided to test the TDS level on the RO water I recently bought from my "trusted" lfs. I was floored when it read 482 ppm!!! I thought perhaps my meter was malfunctioning, however when I tested my well water it was in the typical range it has been, which averages 64. When I tested some distilled water I had bought in a gallon jug from the grocery store it read 0ppm. I had some "RO" water left over in another container that I had purchased from the same lfs a week earlier and it read 84ppm. So it appears that my lfs owner is obviously ripping me off, but any reason for such a fluctuation? 482ppm one week and 84ppm the next??
Also, I typically do not use prime on RO water when I do water changes. If this was actually city water, wouldn't the chlorine and other additives affect my corals and fish? I don't see any issues today.
Not only am I furious, I'm confused. I have every intention on confronting this person.
At least now I know the main source of my algae issue. I wonder how often this goes on.

There is a chance it's residual salt if they use the same bucket for mixing their salt water and for storing RO water.

For example, my RO/DI bucket always reads out to 0 tds if everything is clean. A while back I threw my water changing pump into the resevoir bucket so I could pump the water up to my mixing container. Even tho the pump had been rinsed there was a tiny bit of residual salt on it. That alone brought my tds up to over 10. And that is from just a rinsed pump. I did the math, and it does make sense seeing as how our target salinity is about 34,000 ppm.

That bring said, even if that is the cause, there is no excuse for such poor husbandry in what should be almost pure water.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm truly hoping the cause for the ridiculously high reading is something like that rather that blatant dishonesty. And you're right, even if it's inadvertent, it's still unacceptable. So disappointing too.
Thanks for the reply.

See if they will put some in something that you know is clean (a glass from home?) and test that.

I've had the residual salt thing happen to me before with my own RO setup. It's usually around 3 ppm and one day it was in the hundreds in one container, but at 3 in the others. Of course the high one was the first one I checked.

That was my plan. I'm going tomorrow. Again, I'm really hoping it's residual salt. I love this particular shop. Great prices, healthy corals and fish, and the so far the owner has been straight up with me from what I can tell.
My only other option would be a big box chain store.

You could also invest in a ro/di unit for yourself. :)

I caught my lfs selling me water that had nitrates in it, that was my calling to get my own unit. Sometimes they just dont change their filters enough, whether on purpose or accidentally, you need to get what you are paying for in my opinion.

Haha I know I know. I've been putting it off because I only have a 20L and I'm usually at the shop every week anyway. But you are exactly right. I'd save myself a headache and some money when it's all said and done.

I thought I'd run this by folks on here. I did talk to that particular owner about the high TDS reading and they agreed that it was likely residual salt. Then this person explained to me that I was buying RO water instead of RODI. I was then told that the reason being is that ideally you don't want absolutely everything removed from the water. I'm skeptical now. Any feedback/opinions welcome.

You definitely want RO/DI. It will remove everything and then your salt mix will put back in what you actually need (buffers, trace elements, etc..) for your reef.

You definitely want RO/DI. It will remove everything and then your salt mix will put back in what you actually need (buffers, trace elements, etc..) for your reef.

That's what I've always thought...

You should get yourself a ro/di unit. Taking everything out of the water is the only way to ensure what is in there regarding your own tap. You then add in what you want when you add your salt mix.

I did some research and went with the Coralife Pure-Flo ll 50 gpd 4 stage system. I don't have the option of plumbing one in right now and this one I can hook up to the kitchen sink for a few hours. I only need about 4 gallons a week and this unit seems like it will be fine. Any experience/info on this system?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hated it. It's sitting in a box and I went and got a 5 stage off brs to hook up to my sink instead. Worked much better.

I am with hank. The cora-life ro/di units are garbage. about two months ago I bought a BRS 5 stage as well. Filters are cheaper to.

I got a 4 stage brs ro/di unit. Love it! Had it for 4 months and my di resin is about 35% used up. I change many gallons in my 55 FOWLR.

I went with the coralife unit only because I got such a ridiculously good deal on it after discounts with amazon. I hooked it up today, and right off it lived up to its reputation, leaking in several places. I picked up some plumbers tape, reinforced the connections and readjusted a few things. It is leak free atm, and so far has produced about 4 gallons of rodi water in just about 3 hours. I am dumping the first 10 gallons per suggestion on the instructions so I haven't tested the TDS yet, but I'm very anxious to do so. The plastic hose connection is a true POS, and since I'll be using it outside (don't trust it) I have to go back to the hardware store and get a better connecter. I'm keeping my finger crossed on this. I only need about 5 gallons a week, so hopefully this unit will do the job.

I went with the coralife unit only because I got such a ridiculously good deal on it after discounts with amazon. I hooked it up today, and right off it lived up to its reputation, leaking in several places. I picked up some plumbers tape, reinforced the connections and readjusted a few things. It is leak free atm, and so far has produced about 4 gallons of rodi water in just about 3 hours. I am dumping the first 10 gallons per suggestion on the instructions so I haven't tested the TDS yet, but I'm very anxious to do so. The plastic hose connection is a true POS, and since I'll be using it outside (don't trust it) I have to go back to the hardware store and get a better connecter. I'm keeping my finger crossed on this. I only need about 5 gallons a week, so hopefully this unit will do the job.

Well good luck with it. The one I had was a true pain...I eventually stripped that plastic connector with my plumber's wrench too easily. Hope it works out better than mine did for you though.

So here they are....the inevitable pleas for help. The unit itself has been leak free since I made some adjustments, but I'm having to connect it to an outdoor faucet so I bought a short hose that is safe for drinking and I can't get the connection to stop leaking now. I have a rubber washer in place, and I've tightened it as much as I possibly can. Possible solutions? Can this be replaced?

Back
Top Bottom