LFS ethics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NicoleIsStoked

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is involved in your decision to shop at a specific LFS, particularly for livestock? What is most important to you? Price? Staff knowledge? Location? Warranty? I've recently discovered that my LFS offers no warranty whatsoever for marine livestock. Being new to the saltwater world, I don't know if this is standard? They have a pretty crappy freshwater warranty as it is, but at least its something. Would you shop at a store that makes to guarantee that your fish will even survive the trip home?

NicoleIsStoked said:
What is involved in your decision to shop at a specific LFS, particularly for livestock? What is most important to you? Price? Staff knowledge? Location? Warranty? I've recently discovered that my LFS offers no warranty whatsoever for marine livestock. Being new to the saltwater world, I don't know if this is standard? They have a pretty crappy freshwater warranty as it is, but at least its something. Would you shop at a store that makes to guarantee that your fish will even survive the trip home?

I have about 5 LFS around me, and none of them guarantee marine fish. Some Online places will, but I have yet to find a LFS around me that does. I still don't buy online, though. I want to see what I'm buying jn person. Personally, I buy fish from only 3 different LFS. And that's because their tanks are clean, the fish look healthy and I've never seen an ich outbreak in their tanks. And as for corals, I only buy from the places that don't have a lot of hair algae or bubble algae in their tanks. Lower prices are great, but if the coral doesn't look healthy, I'm not buying no matter what the price is.

NicoleIsStoked said:

I don't know any local fish store that offers warranty on marine livestock. Even big chain store like petco, that gives 30 day on freshwater livestock, doesn't guarantee their marine livestock.
I have both freshwater and saltwater fish tanks never had any problem with saltwater fish right after purchase. It is usually freshwater tropical community fish that I have problem with in first few days.

Beengirl said:
I have about 5 LFS around me, and none of them guarantee marine fish. Some Online places will, but I have yet to find a LFS around me that does. I still don't buy online, though. I want to see what I'm buying jn person. Personally, I buy fish from only 3 different LFS. And that's because their tanks are clean, the fish look healthy and I've never seen an ich outbreak in their tanks. And as for corals, I only buy from the places that don't have a lot of hair algae or bubble algae in their tanks. Lower prices are great, but if the coral doesn't look healthy, I'm not buying no matter what the price is.

Same with me, 5 LFS in 10 mile radius and they all good. I have seen fish stores with tanks so dirty that you can't see fish. These are the LFS to avoid.
I do business with all 5 LFS, each one of them is unique in some way and carries something that none of other LFS does.

The best one I've ever shopped at said before he would sell me any fish I had to bring water samples in that he rather me be mad at him for not selling me fish then to get them home any they died because my tank was bad

Elmo1287 said:
The best one I've ever shopped at said before he would sell me any fish I had to bring water samples in that he rather me be mad at him for not selling me fish then to get them home any they died because my tank was bad

Only had one shop do that with me, I wanted discus and he took my water sample and would not sell any until I did plenty of changes with RO.

The fish in this shop were stunning!

No one here offers a Sw warranty either. It`s pretty rare that they do. I`m not sure but I do think Petco has a small one. One of our sponsors Liveaquaria does offer a 14 day guarantee.

Yeah, I'm not aware of any place offline that warranties saltwater fish. It's probably going to be a mix of results from any shop too. I've had fish die quickly and had fish live for several years from the same shops.

My lfs has a 15 day warranty only if u have a water sample at the time of purchase

I think it's a great idea. I would gladly bring a sample to get a warranty on a saltwater fish. I'm used to no warranty at all. :)

I feel that if someone brings home a fish to a toxic tank and the fish dies, that is not the stores fault and they should not lose money by replacing it. Probably why most places just go with a no warranty policy.

I think it's a great idea. I would gladly bring a sample to get a warranty on a saltwater fish. I'm used to no warranty at all. :)

I feel that if someone brings home a fish to a toxic tank and the fish dies, that is not the stores fault and they should not lose money by replacing it. Probably why most places just go with a no warranty policy.

That's why they don't warranty them, for sure, I know I won't.

I think a water sample for a warranty is fine, I just don't want to be told to go home and get some water just so I can buy one of their fish.

With no water sample at my lfs warranty is 24 hours if u want the extended portion u bring in a water sample ...I think its a good practice also if u buy water tank sand ect in one day and by fish he explains the nitrogen cycle and the risk yur putting on the fish ..

Back
Top Bottom