Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-25-2006, 07:37 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I get 5 large (8" x 8") sheets of nori for $1.75 at the supermarket
That is actually more expensive.

Old 01-26-2006, 12:28 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I wonder if Aquarists can have representation in ways that actually affect everyone, you know? You know how there are animal rights activists staging protests against department stores who sell whatever those interest groups thinks is against their belief?

We should stage something like that for Petco. I have never seen a petco that treated fish humanely. I am not even talking about some Wal Marts yet that have fresh water fish that are swimming in their graves.

In terms of asking questions to LFS employees, you know it's kinda like asking a Chevrolet Dealership Salesman "Is your Chevy Tahoe fuel efficient compared to others in its class?". Ofcourse you're gonna get a yes and then some.

Don't ask salesmen (LFS employees) questions relating to ethics and humanely-related questions. With that said, there are responsible LFSs out there. Rick's Fish and Pets in Frederick, MD, for example, is one. When I was there, buying an Orbit PC light, there was this guy who drives an Escalade asking information about the Blue Hippo Tang.

He said "I have a 75G tank and I want to know how much this Dori is". Rick went "No problem, for now, it's not for sale for you. But you can come back to me when you have 180G saltwater tank. Would you like some perculas instead". That's when I said "This guy is the person to ask, period".

Old 01-27-2006, 09:52 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

One more item to note is that I have heard from many sources that very small baby hippo tangs do not do well at all in captivity and usually die. Hippos 2 - 3 inches usually do much better - and for that, you need a bigger tank. I'm sure the LFS failed to mention that as well.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:29 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just so there is a little positive on this thread. I just went to a Petco in Balto. co. MD.
Now, aside from the fact they overstocked a few tanks (all retailers do this one). The guy who runs the department sounded like our advisors here. I even kinda quizzed him...He actually told me I couldn't have a fish due to the size of my tank (I already knew it) I was amazed...
So maybe just maybe there is a few good employees out there...
Old 01-29-2006, 11:47 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am pretty sure there are. I would just guess that, due to the prevalent feedback from aquarists regarding Petco and Petsmart, that the change has to come from the actual store chain and not just the individuals.

I will give you a good person in Montgomery County, MD who works at Petsmart. He's a 14 year old kid named Kyle. He's underpaid, ofcourse, but he is the most knowledgeable in all of the store when it came to fish.

With that said, I only catch him a few days out of the week. And I don't pretty much go to petsmart anymore lately since I never catch him whenever I pass by to get some dog chow (and doing my routine pass at the fish dept looking for him). In the mean time, I get these hourly employees that have no idea about fish.

In sum, Petco and Petsmart just aren't in the business of humanely treating fish. Putting them in tanks and sorting them out and feeding them ain't just how you humanely treat fish. You indirectly affect the welfare of fish owned by beginner aquarists when you give them false, if not, senseless advise.

Yes, you are right. There are a few grains of good beans in the bucket. It just doesn't impact enough a change, however. They have to start hiring individuals who are experienced and knoweldgeable. Not just Joe somebody who was transferred from the Reptile dept to the Fish dept. They also need to correct their fish dept infrastructure. It's just wrong.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:47 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to InxayonFinland
Our petsmart is actually very good. The people there actually know what they are talking about. Its amazing....
Old 01-30-2006, 06:22 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

The petco near my house shut down the saltwater tanks due to poor maintenace
Old 01-30-2006, 06:24 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
ive seen dead fish in the tanks several times at petco
Old 01-31-2006, 02:21 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

hackteck.......dude..I have to ask....is that a picture of you?

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com