LFS horror/glory stories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdaniel2882

Aquarium Advice FINatic
There seems to be an incredible difference in LFS. It seems like there are many more horror stories than glory stories. I just wanted to start a thread to here some of the worst and the best.

Here is mine:

My LFS is awesome. They know my tank as well as I do. When I go to get anything they remember what I have in my tank and make recomendations. They will not let you buy a fish that is not compatable with what is already in you tank. They will TRY to get anything you want but will not get anything but the best specimens. If you must wait a couple of months before you get the fish you want then so be it. They try new equipment when it comes out and they do not sell garbage. They also don't let you waste your money. They always recomond the best value for the dollar. I just got a Sicce Syncra 5 pump for $10 less than anything I have found online

no need for horror stories there all over the place. just like any business there are good ones and bad ones. we spend so much time worrying about the bad ones but not point out the great ones. sounds like you found a great story. why not put their name and location so others searching the net might find it?

I wish there was a really good lfs around here. I have one that seems to have good intentions yet they keep like 5 arrowanas (although the biggest tank is like 120g). Plus the last fish I got from there (3 acei) got columnaris, although I don't blame tht on the store but their supplier which makes me wary to order from them again. They're also quite pricey but they do test customers water with a liquid test kit for free and don't let them buy any fish unless parameters are in check.

Then I have another lfs that almost tries to look bad. They keep fancy goldfish with cichlids, one employee tapped on the glass with her long finger nails because one of the fish was lethargic, they also test water but for .50 cents and with test strips, the list goes on. From now on, if I ever go in there it's for dry goods only, if that.

If I had to chose I would definitely order from the first one but I don't need many fish anymore (other than for my 10g) so I'm gonna try online (from members on this site).

my LFS has a 2000 gallon salt water tank and all they keep in there is one fish.

oh and they're great, i bought 3 amazon puffers and one died by the time i got home.

the next day i went and they gave me a new one, didnt even bring the dead body or anything

My guy is awesome. The people that work with him are not worth mentioning. The bad thing is is they are bad mouthed locally. Mainly because they are not members of the local reef club. I am a member but never post. Those people are idiots. They are a joke. That is why I am here. But Hunter is awesome. I listen to him sell fish and coral almost daily. He remembers what everybody has, not just me. He has the fish in mind and tries to talk people out of fish that will die. I say try because you can't fix stupid.

One time, I was walking to the parking lot and the guy in front of me had a banded shark in a bag that he had just bought. The bag burst all over the concrete. We all worked like a presidential paramedic team to save that fish. The store grabbed the shark and headed him to a 1000 gallon nem tank they have. He took out 15 or so nems to save this 20 inch long shark. Very traumic. But they repect fish and ocean like I do and that is what I like.

They have tons of coral. Probably a 1000 gallons or more of just coral. Only one in town with that. Aquadome, austin texas.

I just wanted to take a moment to give a shout out to Old Town Aquarium in Chicago.

Beautiful, excellent maintained store with a large amount of stock, amazing display tanks, and even their stock tanks are pleasently decorated.

Prices are a little on the higher side, but I blame that on their location and costs of doing business, not being greedy.

Eddie the manager is extremely knowledgable, won't sell a fish he knows isn't compatible or in the best of health, takes the time to explain things, and make recommendations.

He still won't sell me a copperbanded butterfly! I want one!

High Tide Aquarium in Tallahassee gets my two thumbs sticking up! They told me where I could go catch some neat reef safe critters nearby rather than push a sale on me. Always have better prices than anyone else (online too). Got a really large and pretty chalice for $10! Cant beat that!

Matt

Ocean's Floor in Greenville, SC
They are awesome. One of my friends is getting into cichlids so I took him there. One of the guys (partial owner I think) let us into the back so I could show my friend what a sump system looks like. Another one (within decent travel distance) is up in Boiling Springs. Exit 75 off I85N and hang a left at the light. Keep going for a couple miles. It's on the left and it's called Petworld. Dude has AWESOME planted tanks, some of the stuff you normally don't see in chains (white clouds, assortments of rainbows, pure platy/guppy strains) and a bit of saltwater too. AND has some of the nicest fancy goldies I've seen. Found out about the place when I bought a tank off CL in the area. Try to stop by there everytime I'm headed that way. (And there's a Del Taco on that exit!)

Back
Top Bottom