LFS live rock tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cloudxsoldier

Aquarium Advice Regular
This dark purple algae is all over one of my LFS's live rock tank. It's not good is it? Am I safe to buy fish from them??

Attachments

• image-3418352993.jpg
    image-3418352993.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 109
I can't really see it bust most purple algae is coralline algae which is a sign of good water quality. It could be bubble algae or something else which is a sign of the opposite........ If its flat and hard it's coralline...... Anything else and it's probably a sign of bad quality.

Im seeing cyano. If you can brush it off with your finger it cyano. If its a hardened calcium deposit then its corraline aglae. Cyano=bad coralline=good.

Looks like cyano to me tho.

Its safe to by fish from them, however i wouldnt buy the live rock lol.

Yeah it's def not coralline. I'm Familiar with that stuff. I'm just not goin to go back there. If they can't give a stuff about their tanks being infected with this I'm sure they dont care about the rest of what they're selling. Thanks guys.

cloudxsoldier said:
Yeah it's def not coralline. I'm Familiar with that stuff. I'm just not goin to go back there. If they can't give a stuff about their tanks being infected with this I'm sure they dont care about the rest of what they're selling. Thanks guys.

Yeah, cyano can happen to anyone tho so i wouldnt judge them so quick. But its good to be aware they have this problem.

crister13 said:
It's not infected it just has some excess nutrients.

Yeah nitrates and phosphates can do this , maybe some extra flow with a extra power he's will help them.

Back
Top Bottom