LFS not co-operating with anenome issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well for those who missed my earlier thread I bought an anemone as my first SW purchase. I quickly found out that wasn't a wise move but was ready to go with it since he's in there and very happy it seems.

The problem is that it might be a condy. The woman insisted yesterday when i went there (they wouldnt answer their phone) that it was a pink tipped haaitiian. She said even if it were a condy it would be fine, she went so far as to pull up youtube videos to show me them hosting clowns.

So they will not take it back. No refunds, no store credit nada. Now what do I do with this guy? Still hang in there and hope for the best? Of course I will NEVER EVER go back to that store. It sucks cause after that store I've got over an hour trip each way to the next one. But I'm gonna stand by my guns on this one.

Has anyone had this happen before? And if so what did you do with the speciman? I know absolutley no one who would want it.

Thanks, and not sure if this is in the right forum so move if needed.

:)

Threaten them by saying your going to stand outside the store and inform customers entering that they are not informative, unless they exchange the invert

No store credit. I tried that. They actually have a bubble anemone that I know is good for clowns AND its twice the price but they weren't having it. They were still trying to sell me fish last night. I asked them if I bought clowns and the anenmone ate them if they would refund me. The woman gave me a dirty look and said nothing.

I wish I had the [moderator edit] to stand out side the store and [moderator edit] but I know I couldn't do it. And it does state on the receipt no returns on SW fish so they are legally protected.
I didn't use a credit card so I cant go to them for help.

Arghh this beautiful creature is stressing me out.

Thanks for the responses so far, keep em coming.

Do you have another store in the area? See if they'll take it. I know my lfs doesn't really care if I bought it from them as long as it's healthy since they can resell it.

I can drive an hour to get to other stores. I found a marine biologist who runs a shop that I was gonna order my black percs from, maybe he would take it. I doubt it though since he's mostly corals and some specialty fish. Good thought tho. I still might call him.

It never hurts to ask. Especially since after this you're more likely to buy from someone who actually helps you, they stand to make money by taking this nem.

LOL That was what I figured with the local shop. But it seems they aren't in it for repeat business. I was gonna buy some cuc from them today too, now I have to contemplate the long journey to the marine guy. It takes almost a half tank of gas roundtrip and gas is over $3.39 a gallon here.

Not even store credit, but at a discount? Most good saltwater shops will take corals in for store credit. (Coral frags, for example.) They're not going to give you full price, but will give you some percentage of what they can turn it around for. I can kind of see the LFS not giving you 100% of your money back, but I bet they'd be willing to give you partial credit.

Nope no store credit. I didnt want my money back per se, I still needed some snails and the such. i would have glady bought another anemone with the store credit too, one that was twice the price but she still said no.

I'm not sure I understand, you wanted a pink-tipped Haitian? These are Condylactis spp., usually passiflora so if this is correct then either way you would be purchasing a condy.

Yeah i was reading that the pink tip is a member of the condy family anyways. So either way I'm kinda beat. But since the girl showed me those youtube videos she said its all a matter of opinion. She cant accept something thats not a definite killer.

I wouldn't label them as a killer either, just moreso that they don't associate with Indo-Pacific teleosts we tend to populate our tanks with. They are not a natural symbiotic with clownfish, if that was the purpose of purchase, but then again most fish accustom to environments we provide, natural or not.

Last edited:
I wouldn't label them as a killer either, just moreso that they don't associate with Indo-Pacific teleosts we tend to populate our tanks with. They are not a natural symbiotic with clownfish, if that was the purpose of purchase, but then again most fish accustom to environments we provide, which isn't natural to them so fish adapt to what we provide.

Yep, the fish lady yesterday said it would adapt. But my concern is what if they don't? I don't want to sentence any new fish to death. In your opinion, should I try it out and see or try to find a home for this guy? I know its not the anenomes' fault i made a dumb move so I want it to be happy.

If you want clownfish to have a better chancehosting with a nem then get another, more appropriate, species of nem; however, if all you care about are the fish not getting eaten then it may be worth a shot. All nems have potency to sting fish.

If the fish could get hosted that would be an added bonus. BUT it's not my primary concern. My #1 concern is that all my livestock is healthy and happy.

I just scoped out the nem and he is really in there. He has two orange stalks stuck so far underneath rock I think I'd have to take the rock with him. lol

I appreciate the responses. Not one I told ya so! ( that was another thread hehe).

Two nems in one tank is a bad bad idea I suppose? Don't hate, just a question. :)

I had this problem once with my old lfs, I found a new store and traded the anemone in at the new store for credit. I have been using them ever since.

Technically the lfs didn't do anything wrong other than having a "no refunds" policy.

As for multiple nems, I wouldn't put more than 2 in a 40g Breeder with 60g offering more space/less invasive to fish. Adding another nem is just increasing risk of stings.

Technically the lfs didn't do anything wrong other than having a "no refunds" policy.

As for multiple nems, I wouldn't put more than 2 in a 40g Breeder with 60g offering more space/less invasive to fish (not counting mini carpets). Adding another nem is just increasing risk of stings.

Back
Top Bottom