LFS Recommends SW Fish Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just thought I post this for everyone to view you can clearly hear and see this LFS recommend Damsels are good for Cycling..... This is In-humane...
:nono:

What did you expect? His job is to sell fish. He does not care if they live through the cycle or not. He made his money.

What did you expect? His job is to sell fish. He does not care if they live through the cycle or not. He made his money.

I question that statement... What he really wants is the most efficent cycle possible, so he can sell you more expensive fish, invertbrates etc. That is were the money is at. Selling 6 damsel fish for $30 total is not that much revenue.

If you burn someone on the first sale they will not come back. Run a mental register and add up, how much you have spent at your local store...

i question that statement... What he really wants is the most efficent cycle possible, so he can sell you more expensive fish, invertbrates etc. That is were the money is at. Selling 6 damsel fish for $30 total is not that much revenue.

If you burn someone on the first sale they will not come back. Run a mental register and add up, how much you have spent at your local store...

if that is the way you feel you need to find a better lfs...

lol!!!!

I question that statement... What he really wants is the most efficent cycle possible, so he can sell you more expensive fish, invertbrates etc. That is were the money is at. Selling 6 damsel fish for $30 total is not that much revenue.

A lot of areas may have only one or two lfs's that sell SW fish. That being said, they have a corner on the market to an extent.

Also when aquarists are new, they don't know what killed their fish, so they continue to trust the lfs. Quite often, the employees at the lfs are inexperienced themselves. All of these things factor into lfs mentality. I keep FW fish but regardless of FW or SW, have found a great deal of lfs's having less the the greatest concern for the fish they sell.

A lot of areas may have only one or two lfs's that sell SW fish. That being said, they have a corner on the market to an extent.

Also when aquarists are new, they don't know what killed their fish, so they continue to trust the lfs. Quite often, the employees at the lfs are inexperienced themselves. All of these things factor into lfs mentality. I keep FW fish but regardless of FW or SW, have found a great deal of lfs's having less the the greatest concern for the fish they sell.

All I am saying is vote with your dollars.

My city is a small midwestern town of about .5 million people. We have 3 saltwater (non-chain) fish stores.

One is all about making a sale, they will more than likely not be here at the end of the recession.

Another is trying to be the volume leader, and they are ok. If you know what you are looking for, you can get good deals.

Then finally there is a small boutique fish store, prices are higher, but they take care of their customers. They have been open for 30 years and have a very loyal customer base. Their livestock is much healthier, and on mulitple occassions, I have heard them telling people not to buy something which will generate them more revenue but would hurt the customer...

Fish are not considered pets, but ornamental. Damselfish and many others used for cycling purposes are purchased for pennies on the dollar so this would be the fastest way for lfs' to make their money on livestock and still keep the customer coming back whether it is right or wrong morally. Needless to say, lfs' do not make profits from livestock, it is from the goods they sell (food, filters, etc.).

All I am saying is vote with your dollars.

My city is a small midwestern town of about .5 million people. We have 3 saltwater (non-chain) fish stores.

One is all about making a sale, they will more than likely not be here at the end of the recession.

Another is trying to be the volume leader, and they are ok. If you know what you are looking for, you can get good deals.

Then finally there is a small boutique fish store, prices are higher, but they take care of their customers. They have been open for 30 years and have a very loyal customer base. Their livestock is much healthier, and on mulitple occassions, I have heard them telling people not to buy something which will generate them more revenue but would hurt the customer...

No one is saying that ALL lfs's are out for quick sales. The op has provided a link for a lfs that is not interested in the best care for the fish. You have proven what I said, a great deal of lfs's are not interested in proper fish care. One of your lfs's is out for the quick buck, the other is good if you are experienced and the third is the good lfs.

Tank2379 has pointed out the kind of lfs that most of us avoid. That I believe was the intent, to warn of those kind of lfs's.

No one is saying that ALL lfs's are out for quick sales. The op has provided a link for a lfs that is not interested in the best care for the fish. You have proven what I said, a great deal of lfs's are not interested in proper fish care. One of your lfs's is out for the quick buck, the other is good if you are experienced and the third is the good lfs.

Tank2379 has pointed out the kind of lfs that most of us avoid. That I believe was the intent, to warn of those kind of lfs's.

That was my point nothing more.

Back
Top Bottom