Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-15-2005, 10:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

LFS Strike again

Why can't a lfs just tell you the truth? Maybe in this instance he just made a mistake but I just got back from a local fish store with my new "sweetlips clownfish", I asked the lfs about it and he said it was not reef safe (I don't have a reef), is peaceful and would get along with everything. Well while I was aclimating I went on line to check this cute fish out, DANG 8O it can get up 2ft 5inches in the aquarium, and he eats inverts and snails. 8O .

Now I have a fish that I'm going to have to get rid of soon cause even in my 150 (he will never go there, too many snails, shrimp, etc), he would out grow it in just a short time.

Anyone want a pretty fish?

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 10:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Aww, that's to bad. They are beautiful fish. Can you return it?

Old 05-15-2005, 10:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...cfm?pCatId=180
Do you mean this? They are beautiful but I can't believe they sold it as a clownfish. These things get HUGE. How much did you have to give for it if you don't mind me asking? It's going to be hard to get rid of it.
http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 10:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd walk it right back into the LFS and hand it over. Demand a refund or at the very least a credit. That's just wrong. Mistake or no mistake. The other side of that is buyer beware! We should all try to remember that the onis is on us to research our purchases *before* we buy them (not always easy when there's something beautiful in their tank).

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 11:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Do you mean this

Yep.

Quote:
How much did you have to give for it if you don't mind me asking?
30 bux.

Quote:
We should all try to remember that the onis is on us to research our purchases *before* we buy them (not always easy when there's something beautiful in their tank).

So true.

It's my mistake for that reason. I guess I'm gonna keep it for a little while. Maybe find someone down the road that could use it.

Quote:
They are beautiful but I can't believe they sold it as a clownfish.

Swims like a clownfish, even has some of the "facial expressions" of a clownfish. Is there any chance that it's a dwarf type or something. He did lead me to believe it would only get 6" or so.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 05-15-2005, 11:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

[acronym="dralarms"] swims like a clownfish, even has some of the "facial expressions" of a clownfish. Is there any chance that it's a dwarf type or something. He did lead me to believe it would only get 6" or so.[/quote]

Not that I've ever heard of. Perhaps your lfs guy was miss informed as well.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:38 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Probally, I know he wouldn't steer someone wrong intentionaly, been doing business for a while there. To be on the safe side I rescued all my shrimp out of the tank, only had 3 but 1 was a cleaner and too expensive for a snack. .

They are sure a beutiful fish though. I may keep it until it gets tooo big for the tank it's in and then trade it back for something else or donate it.

To beat it all I got 2 clowns from him also, said they are tomato but I've never seen a tomato with 3 stripes. Anyway I have one that I have to assume didn't make it. Was swimming kinda funny even for a clown and when I went back to do a search and recover it was gone. (with 3 brittle stars in tank I'm sure it won't cause a spike though).

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 05-15-2005, 11:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well after reading the link above a little closer I emailed the lfs to ask if that's what I actually bought, If so I am returning it. that thing requires too much care seeing how it is labled "expert only"

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 05-15-2005, 11:55 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

wow! nice fish. too bad they get so big. I get so frustrated when I'm in a lfs and I
see juvenile groupers for sale.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:08 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ya talk about LFS, mine sold me a Red Coris wrasse telling me that he was reef safe. When I put him in my tank I got the pleasure of watching him take apart my hermits 8O luckily it didn't take long for me to catch him(they are greedy fish easy to bait). I took him back and ended up getting an Emperial Angel(I don't have coral's he was interested in eating). But the troubles LFS can put you through!!!

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com