LFS Strike again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dralarms

Aquarium Advice Addict
Why can't a lfs just tell you the truth? Maybe in this instance he just made a mistake but I just got back from a local fish store with my new "sweetlips clownfish", I asked the lfs about it and he said it was not reef safe (I don't have a reef), is peaceful and would get along with everything. Well while I was aclimating I went on line to check this cute fish out, DANG 8O it can get up 2ft 5inches in the aquarium, and he eats inverts and snails. 8O .

Now I have a fish that I'm going to have to get rid of soon cause even in my 150 (he will never go there, too many snails, shrimp, etc), he would out grow it in just a short time.

Anyone want a pretty fish? :(

I'd walk it right back into the LFS and hand it over. Demand a refund or at the very least a credit. That's just wrong. Mistake or no mistake. The other side of that is buyer beware! We should all try to remember that the onis is on us to research our purchases *before* we buy them (not always easy when there's something beautiful in their tank).

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Do you mean this

Yep.

How much did you have to give for it if you don't mind me asking?

30 bux.

We should all try to remember that the onis is on us to research our purchases *before* we buy them (not always easy when there's something beautiful in their tank).

So true.

It's my mistake for that reason. I guess I'm gonna keep it for a little while. Maybe find someone down the road that could use it.

They are beautiful but I can't believe they sold it as a clownfish.

Swims like a clownfish, even has some of the "facial expressions" of a clownfish. Is there any chance that it's a dwarf type or something. He did lead me to believe it would only get 6" or so.

swims like a clownfish, even has some of the "facial expressions" of a clownfish. Is there any chance that it's a dwarf type or something. He did lead me to believe it would only get 6" or so.[/quote] Not that I've ever heard of. Perhaps your [acronym="Local Fish Store"]lfs guy was miss informed as well. :?

Probally, I know he wouldn't steer someone wrong intentionaly, been doing business for a while there. To be on the safe side I rescued all my shrimp out of the tank, only had 3 but 1 was a cleaner and too expensive for a snack. :roll: .

They are sure a beutiful fish though. I may keep it until it gets tooo big for the tank it's in and then trade it back for something else or donate it.

To beat it all I got 2 clowns from him also, said they are tomato but I've never seen a tomato with 3 stripes. Anyway I have one that I have to assume didn't make it. Was swimming kinda funny even for a clown and when I went back to do a search and recover it was gone. (with 3 brittle stars in tank I'm sure it won't cause a spike though). :(

Well after reading the link above a little closer I emailed the lfs to ask if that's what I actually bought, If so I am returning it. that thing requires too much care seeing how it is labled "expert only" :roll:

wow! nice fish. too bad they get so big. I get so frustrated when I'm in a lfs and I
see juvenile groupers for sale.

Ya talk about LFS, mine sold me a Red Coris wrasse telling me that he was reef safe. When I put him in my tank I got the pleasure of watching him take apart my hermits 8O luckily it didn't take long for me to catch him(they are greedy fish easy to bait). I took him back and ended up getting an Emperial Angel(I don't have coral's he was interested in eating). But the troubles LFS can put you through!!!

A beautiful fish! But looks like he belongs more in the New England Aquarium! Best to return him right away, say LFS didn't know what he was selling. Sounds like the LFS could definitely use a lesson here. (He should actually appreciate the info!)

Here is the reply I received from my lfs. And now that I see it in print, he did tell me basicly the same thing when I was there.

"Yes, that's the fish; however I don't necessarily agree with their description of ultimate size?? or that they are difficult to keep. We've kept them right along, and are a very popular fish...... and relatively easy to care for. Nevertheless, you're certainly welcome to trade it in if you so choose"

So I'm going to keep it for a while and see how it progresses.

My lfs did the same thing to me yrs. ago, saying they were easy maintenance and would get along with everything...pffft! Never went back.

My lfs did the same thing to me yrs. ago, saying they were easy maintenance and would get along with everything...pffft! Never went back.

Well I've done a bunch of business with this lfs. I do feel he is being honest with me, we all know that sometimes fish don't always behave in the manner expected.

Sometimes they are referred to as Clown Sweetlips. But they are in no way related to clowns. They can be quite difficult to feed as well. As well as it gets almost three feet, and WILL eat whatever can fit into it's mouth.

Sometimes they are referred to as Clown Sweetlips. But they are in no way related to clowns. They can be quite difficult to feed as well. As well as it gets almost three feet, and WILL eat whatever can fit into it's mouth.

I understand that. However he has kept them before and never had one get that large or become a problem. I haven't mentioned the lfs name since it's one of our sponsors (and no guessing please, cause I ain't tellin), and has a very good rep. and has never steered me wrong. I was even going to buy a beautiful blue eyed puffer fish once, he jumped all over that one telling me how big it gets, what it eats, what you can and can't keep with it. I have been in his store many times, right at opening, middle of the day, right at closing, it's always the same, never have I seen a dead fish in his sw tanks (don't do freshwater), and all his fish are healthy, eating, and the devil to catch :roll: Anyway the deed is done, I'm keeping it for a little while anyway, if it grows to fast, gets too big, or starts eating everything in site I'll take it to him and trade it for something more approriate.

And yes you can call me crazy but the fish I get from him go straight into my tank, never qt'd one of his, never needed to yet :wink: .

Back
Top Bottom