Lid very hot! ;)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've just upgraded my lighting, and now my tank lid (black ash type wood) is getting VERY hot on the underside when I take it off.

Is it possible that it could get so hot that some of the paint falls off and into my tank or anything?!? :p

Got the fan sorted, just not arrived yet :)

Do you think the paint thing will be an issue?

I would keep a eye on it if it starts to bubble up then it would be a possible issue. If its paint you would see signs of it coming off before it falls into the tank. And if it does IMO I dont see dried paint being a real issue.

My tank was given to me used. Some of the paint inside the hood around the MH lights had bubbled and flaked off by the time I got it. So it's certainly a possibility. As part of my cabinet and hood restoration, I spray painted the inside of the hood with some paint from an auto parts store that is meant for painting exhausts/headers. This paint can withstand very high temperatures. With adequate ventilation (fans) it will stay cool but if you're really worried about it, you could try some of the high-temp paint.

So, before anything bad happens, the paint will start bubbling to give me a warning?

Probably depends on what the hood is made of and how hot the lights get. In this particular case, the paint came off but the hood never caught fire.

Back
Top Bottom