life rock turn white?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

match55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
recently I found a spot that on one of my life rock turned white.
What happened to it?
is it dying OoO?

anyone can give me some info??? or suggestion how to prevent the rock to turn white?
img_1021370_0_af70384bdfa1fc5009ff270e51c115f2.jpg
img_1021370_1_adceaf7a60b4ff9745f8589d9986553d.jpg

Not sure of the tank/rock history, but from the looks of it, it looks like a new tank? If so, many times the coralline will die off from being out of water too long, transport conditions, etc... and will turn white. Nothing to worry about though. In 3-4 months, your tank will have spots of purple spreading all over!

Yeah, if you have regular fluorescent lighting then it wouldnt be any growth like sponges or anything that would grow off of photosynthesis. Like Kurt said, its probably just a bit of die off.

Yeah, if you have regular fluorescent lighting then it wouldnt be any growth like sponges or anything that would grow off of photosynthesis. Like Kurt said, its probably just a bit of die off.

I do have something like sponges~
so the bottom of the life rock will usually be white even I have the right lighting? since that side won't have much light?
side question, should I get a RO/DI unit first or a better light?

pic of the sponge like thingy
img_1021576_0_9d8e8651009eeb4fa7db0062d1490789.jpg
img_1021576_1_d8bfcd00d4fd8c12863a9050748c065a.jpg

I would say to definitely get the RO/DI unit first. Its one of the most important things in SW IMO. Although people have gone without RO water or RO/DI units for years, its still the ones of the best things you can have for saltwater. I would say get the ro unit and then worry about the lights later.

Also, is this going to be a reef tank? Or a FOWLR. If its going to be FOWLR then you dont really need all that good of lights, and normal output fluorescents would work. If its going to be a reef then obviously you will need better lighting.

I would say to definitely get the RO/DI unit first. Its one of the most important things in SW IMO. Although people have gone without RO water or RO/DI units for years, its still the ones of the best things you can have for saltwater. I would say get the ro unit and then worry about the lights later.

Also, is this going to be a reef tank? Or a FOWLR. If its going to be FOWLR then you dont really need all that good of lights, and normal output fluorescents would work. If its going to be a reef then obviously you will need better lighting.

alrite, I will get that RO/DI unit first then.
I am still thinking on reef or FOWLR, since I am afraid my puffers will hurt my inverts and corals, but I also in love with puffers ToT.
they didn't hurt my inverts now, but sometimes they will stare at them for couple sec LOL.
I believe I will have my answer when I save enough money for the light XP

Thats a good plan. If you dont have the RO/DI unit now, you could be battling things like cyano and diatoms relentlessly. And nitrate problems as well. The RO/DI unit just makes sense. And since you don't know what you want to do yet, as far as reef or fowlr goes, then dont waste money on lights you may not even need if you decide not to go reef.

Thats a good plan. If you dont have the RO/DI unit now, you could be battling things like cyano and diatoms relentlessly. And nitrate problems as well. The RO/DI unit just makes sense. And since you don't know what you want to do yet, as far as reef or fowlr goes, then dont waste money on lights you may not even need if you decide not to go reef.

I really want to go for reef, so I need to have a plan on what to do with my puffers.
I have diatoms right now, so I will probably get that RO as soon as I can to control them.
my tank now is more like a POWLR (puffer only with life rock) haha
no other fishes~XP

lighting is the one came with the tank...

That's not telling us much! You might want to put in your "My Tanks" what your actual lighting is - type, length, and wattage.

Coralline doesn't need much light. In fact, it will bleach white with too much light. Eventually, you'll end up with coralline everywhere. It does need *some* light, but don't expect the undersides of your rocks to be white. As long as your calcium/alkalinity levels stay good (and yours look good), it should grow given time.

From time to time, I have sections of my coralline go white on me - I've never figured out why though. It always comes back though. It's just one of those things...

I do have something like sponges~
so the bottom of the life rock will usually be white even I have the right lighting? since that side won't have much light?
side question, should I get a RO/DI unit first or a better light?

pic of the sponge like thingy
img_1023373_0_9d8e8651009eeb4fa7db0062d1490789.jpg
img_1023373_1_d8bfcd00d4fd8c12863a9050748c065a.jpg

That actually looks more like some type of coral to me, possibly porites.

Not a lot, just average lighting for soft coral or lps will keep it alive. Can you get a closer up picture... to me those look like coral polyps in your picture. I'm still guessing it is some type of porites.

don't think that rock has polyps, but my other rock does.
and thats the closest I can get with my camera...

Back
Top Bottom