Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-23-2009, 06:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to match55 Send a message via MSN to match55 Send a message via Yahoo to match55
life rock turn white?

recently I found a spot that on one of my life rock turned white.
What happened to it?
is it dying OoO?

anyone can give me some info??? or suggestion how to prevent the rock to turn white?

Old 08-24-2009, 12:16 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to match55 Send a message via MSN to match55 Send a message via Yahoo to match55
anyone knows?

Old 08-24-2009, 12:38 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not sure of the tank/rock history, but from the looks of it, it looks like a new tank? If so, many times the coralline will die off from being out of water too long, transport conditions, etc... and will turn white. Nothing to worry about though. In 3-4 months, your tank will have spots of purple spreading all over!
Old 08-24-2009, 12:39 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Lighting?
alkalinity?
calcium?
Old 08-24-2009, 01:46 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

lighting is the one came with the tank
alk is 12dkh
cal is 480+
Old 08-24-2009, 02:57 AM   #6
is back to save the day!

Yeah, if you have regular fluorescent lighting then it wouldnt be any growth like sponges or anything that would grow off of photosynthesis. Like Kurt said, its probably just a bit of die off.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:13 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
Yeah, if you have regular fluorescent lighting then it wouldnt be any growth like sponges or anything that would grow off of photosynthesis. Like Kurt said, its probably just a bit of die off.
I do have something like sponges~
so the bottom of the life rock will usually be white even I have the right lighting? since that side won't have much light?
side question, should I get a RO/DI unit first or a better light?

pic of the sponge like thingy
Old 08-24-2009, 03:34 AM   #8
is back to save the day!

I would say to definitely get the RO/DI unit first. Its one of the most important things in SW IMO. Although people have gone without RO water or RO/DI units for years, its still the ones of the best things you can have for saltwater. I would say get the ro unit and then worry about the lights later.

Also, is this going to be a reef tank? Or a FOWLR. If its going to be FOWLR then you dont really need all that good of lights, and normal output fluorescents would work. If its going to be a reef then obviously you will need better lighting.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:43 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
I would say to definitely get the RO/DI unit first. Its one of the most important things in SW IMO. Although people have gone without RO water or RO/DI units for years, its still the ones of the best things you can have for saltwater. I would say get the ro unit and then worry about the lights later.

Also, is this going to be a reef tank? Or a FOWLR. If its going to be FOWLR then you dont really need all that good of lights, and normal output fluorescents would work. If its going to be a reef then obviously you will need better lighting.
alrite, I will get that RO/DI unit first then.
I am still thinking on reef or FOWLR, since I am afraid my puffers will hurt my inverts and corals, but I also in love with puffers ToT.
they didn't hurt my inverts now, but sometimes they will stare at them for couple sec LOL.
I believe I will have my answer when I save enough money for the light XP
Old 08-24-2009, 03:48 AM   #10
is back to save the day!

Thats a good plan. If you dont have the RO/DI unit now, you could be battling things like cyano and diatoms relentlessly. And nitrate problems as well. The RO/DI unit just makes sense. And since you don't know what you want to do yet, as far as reef or fowlr goes, then dont waste money on lights you may not even need if you decide not to go reef.

Tags
rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com