Lifespan/Cycle of Starfish After Losing Legs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonboyb

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently had such a population explosion of asterina stars in one of my cubes that they completely devoured the coraline in the tank and made my beautiful purple LR look more like base rock:rolleyes: A pair of harlequin shrimp to the rescue.

Anyways, once the tank is cleaned out, I will begin the arduous task of feeding the little buggers (or selling them) but I have turned my 12 gallon into a starfish holding tank for the harlequin food (chocolate or sand sifting stars) but instead of chunking in a whole star, I will be severing legs and feeding gradually. I've had stars live (and regenerate legs after some time) after losing 1 or even 2 legs, but I'll be feeding probably 1 leg per week (the LFS here only sell MONSTER chocolate chip stars). Is that a rate the star can possibly survive, or maybe should I keep multiple stars to increase the recouperation period between de-legging;). I am also goign to attempt feeding thawed starfish as some breeders/keepers have had some luck with that also.

I feel unbelievable cruel even posting this question.....but lets face it, no developed central nervous system (and by severing only a leg, I prevent the harlequins from eating it alive...LOL). I'd take losing a limb over that anyday IMO.

Oh the humanity!!!

j/k. I guess our plan to get rich on ebay is off huh? lol

I've never done it, but I read a similar thread on RC (I think) and the guy rotated 3 stars to allow them to survive. I believe he said he had been successful for nearly a year with that approach. HTH.

For everyone's info, HN1 and I recently got a big laugh out of an Ebay ad for (4) Asterina Stars for $14.99 and he was selling them like crazy apparently:cool:

I recently had such a population explosion of asterina stars in one of my cubes that they completely devoured the coraline in the tank and made my beautiful purple LR look more like base rock:rolleyes:

My only concern is that you`ve laid the blame for your coralline on the starfish. I personnal dont think they are to blame. What else do you have in the tank. Maybe your water parameters are not where they need to be for coralline. What are your calcium, mag and alk readings. Reason I say that is because I have hundreds in my tank and they dont mess with my coralline at all. Had them for years. IMO dont be too hasty to blame the stars.

SG 1.026
CA 425 +/-
MG 1300-1350
Alk 8-9
pH 8.2-8.4 depending on photocycle

My parameters have been rock solid on this tank since it was setup in August 08 (other than an occasional nitrate or phosphate hit)

I have SPS's that were 1" nubs 6 months ago that are colonies the size of baseballs (or bigger now). 99.9% sure my water isn't the issue. However, I can count probably 2 or 3 asterinas per square inch of my rock....not exaggerating either:cool: I recently did an iodine dip on some zoas that seemed a little stressed and ended up with probably 20 in the water off of a 2" frag plug.

If I had to estimate, it would easily over a thousand in a 28 gallon tank. Even if they are not the cause of the coraline dye-off (and I've watched them sit a while in one spot and then move revealing bare spots) there are so many I want them out for asthetics.

Back
Top Bottom