Lighing question.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChiTownRomeo

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55 gallon Reef with Some Torches, Frogspawn, Hammers, duncans, Zoas, Digitata's And Acans. I bought the Marineland reef capable 48 inch fixture for $300 new and it's making my corals look like crap! Acans have lost color and Digitata's are browning. I was looking into Ati t5 bulbs and they look awesome! I was wondering could i get 2 t5 fixtures and mount them in my canopy wih the leds. I don't wanna ditch the Marinelands since I already bought them. I was thinking about using the coral plus and purple plus bulbs. You think this fixture will power them?

ViaVolt 2 ft.T5 High 1-Bulb Output Fluorescent Grow Light Fixture-V21 at The Home Depot

Last edited by a moderator:
No where near enough. Grab two ebay led fixtures. I'll attach a link.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130945201662?redirect=mobile
This fixture will grow anything you'd like. Even one will get you by but you'll need two.
The marineland fixture is powered with 1watt LEDs instead of 3 watt so they don't have the punch most LPS and SPS need.
You won't regret these fixtures for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

adding the 2 t5 bulbs would be enough for LPS I'd think but forget SPS like your digitata. If your cool with that you should be ok but if you want SPS or anemones I'd go with the dimable LEDs. I have 2 of the dimable LEDs on my 55 and it's full of every sps under the sun and they grow like crazy.

That link is to a 2ft single bulb 24 watt fixture I don't even think two of those would be enough for LPS

Sorry just noticed it was saying in conjunction with the LEDs you have. I would get at least a 4foot fixture so you have the proper coverage. Plus reflectors play a big role in T5 lighting since it's not at all directional without them.

Marineland lights are worthless. They are for fish viewing. They are 1 watt LED's. You need 3 watt for corals. I would take it back and get your money back and start your light search over. Many have had good luck with the Ebay lights. Notice on their web site video they are showing them with fresh water fish with plastic plants.

Back
Top Bottom