Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-05-2008, 05:49 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Light Acclimate for corals

Do you think I need to light acclimate for my corals in the following situation? I have a 75 gallon with 440watts of VHO all on one ballast. In order to get a dusk/dawn going with another ballast and some T5HO lighting, I'm thinking about buying a 39watt T5HO single Actinic bulb in a retrofit kit. It is at:
and is part # LT-VA27105
1) With only adding an extra 39watts of T5HO would I need to light acclimate at all? This will bring me from 5.9wpg to 6.4wpg, with just adding extra actinic light.

2) My other option is to just put a PC bulb on there instead, but I'm thinking the T5HO would be better if I want to put some type of SPS or Clam in there. Or do you think it doesn't make a difference since it is only one bulb?
Thank you.

ryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
I would not worry about it. Especially if the new lights are filling our the actinic side of the spectrum. It should not be an issue at all. Enjoy the new lights.

Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 06:05 PM   #3
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
I agree. No probs only adding actinic supplements.
125g reef
See My Tank Info
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 07:57 PM   #4
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I also agree that you`ll be OK. If you were going from VHO`s to MH`s then that would be a different story.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

acclimate, coral, corals, light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com