Light cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paul87

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering if a 12 on 12 off was the way to go for the light cycle on my tank. This is what I've been doing but I've heard of different cycles that some people go by. Also I have the blue led moonlight too and wondered if it was best to leave it on at night or not. I always cut all lights off at night except my fuge.

It really depends on how strong your lights are, but 8-12 hours is pretty much the standard. I run T5's and leave the daylights on for 10, and the actinics on for 12.
As far as the moons, I try to mimic the lunar cycle, best I can. 1 week off, 2 weeks increasing in time, and 1 week on most of the night. I'm sure it's not necessary, but I think it gives everything a more natural feel. Most spawning is governed by the lunar cycle, corals included, so...why not? Still hoping for some of my corals to spawn!! Fingers crossed :)

I was wondering if a 12 on 12 off was the way to go for the light cycle on my tank. This is what I've been doing but I've heard of different cycles that some people go by. Also I have the blue led moonlight too and wondered if it was best to leave it on at night or not. I always cut all lights off at night except my fuge.

Personally i run 10 hrs white 12 hrs blue and i keep my moon lights on all night mimicing the lunar cycle would be awesome but i think thats to much work for me IMO but i think its peoples preferences unless you have an algae issue in your tank then you want less lights.

Well algae is not a problem for me but I've been trying to get rid of this cyano patch that keeps coming back. Will the blue moonlight contribute to the growth? And also is it best to leave on the moonlight during night or just leave them off? (pitch black)

Im with everyone else I run blues 12 hours whites for 10 and lunar stays on 24 hours

The moonlights are dim enough they don't effect anything, they are purely for our pleasure. If you have them and want them on giver if not leave them off. I personally leave mine all 24/7.

Lunar are those small blue leds that come on some of the t-5 hoods

I have one of those marineland hidden led strips that have white and blue. One mode leaves them all on while the other just leaves the blue on. Would just the blue be lunar? My other light is just a single t5

paul87 said:
I have one of those marineland hidden led strips that have white and blue. One mode leaves them all on while the other just leaves the blue on. Would just the blue be lunar? My other light is just a single t5

You running reef? The lights at least the one s om thinking of don't have lunar lee's on the and arnt really a good choice for reef tanks.

Back
Top Bottom