light for 6 foot 140 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spoonman

Aquarium Advice Addict
If you where changing a 6 foot 140G tank from fresh to salt, what light would you buy? I want t5ho and would like to grow any coral that I want. I assume at least an 8 bulb fixture with individual reflectors. Has to be 72". I would like one that hinges up to get to the top of the tank for feeding.....etc. Any links or suggestions would be appreciated!

spoonman said:
Found this on line. Is it what I will need and is it a good price?

http://www.coralreefsupply.com/?aquarium=detail&detail=1419

I bought this same light except mines 48". So far I like it a lot as it was a big jump from what I had before. One thing I would suggest is if you can, get a hanging kit. Not sure of the quality of their hanging kit but the mounting legs leave something to be desired. I have to live with them for now but when I move I'll be buying a hanging kit. Other than that I love it. The timer is nice and easy to figure out.

Don't any of these bigger lights come with hinged mounting legs? You would think the multiple bulb units would take up so much space that they would make them to hinge up out of the way for feeding and maintenance.

The NEP is only 12" wide... your tank is 18 or 24 wide isn't it? I'd think there's plenty of room to feed and do things. A hanging kit with pulleys and a way to raise/lower would probably be ideal if you're thinking you'd be rearranging and stuff a lot.

Nice! But are the 4 extra bulbs needed and are they worth an additional $250? I know you got yours on the cheap used, didn't you?

Yep, picked mine up used from CL for $300. I wanted the most light i could get so that I didn't have to worry about upgrading. If I was faced with the same decision now and CL was not an option, I would most likely get the same fixture again. You can get it cheaper than the link I posted, that was the easiest one to link lol I've seen it for $5**.00 at some stores online.

What is shipping? It's free at marine depot... but also $699. You just missed a sale too. They had it for $579 I think (in fact, I shouldn't have said that because you're probably mad at me for pointing it out).

What is shipping? It's free at marine depot... but also $699. You just missed a sale too. They had it for $579 I think (in fact, I shouldn't have said that because you're probably mad at me for pointing it out).

Got a bonus at work that I am putting in my savings. I can wait to get the light. I will probably just put it on the tank with my cichlids in it for now and not use all the bulbs. So, I can get it whenever. A heads up when someone finds it on sale would be great, though!

Sign up for the marine depot newsletter. They email you when they have sales. The nice thing is that most of the bigger stores will match prices, so if you have a preferred place (I love aquacave, marine depot, drs foster and smith, and BRS) they'll probably match any price you find.

Back
Top Bottom