Light over chaeto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

minkin

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is it possible for my light to be close to the chaeto?

My chaeto is submerged like an inch, and my light is above the water by about an inch too.

So a couple of strands of chaeto have started going a pale green/white color.

I think this might be because I had the light too close?

I have moved it further away now.

How many of them? It would have to be quite a few if it's going to be strong enough to kill the chaeto.

How much flow do you have going through it?

I have just the one but it is fairly close. I have it about 2 inch above the water. The chaeto is submerged in one of my back chambers in a DIY egg crate box.

I think the flow is good because if I pull a little strand off the chaeto ball, it gets sucked up over the little wall and down into the next chamber into my pump.

Is it possible that your water is very clean, and the chaeto isn't getting enough nutrients? I really don't know, just a thought.

I don't have a test kit for phosphates right now. I ordered one last week and it will be here later on today.

So my test kits just arrived.

I tested for phosphates and it is 0.25

I have two 10w 5600K about 4-5in off the surface and my chaeto is growing like crazy. My nitrates and phosphates are reading zero now. Is it possible you don't have enough light? 3w seems a little low on power. But what works for one person may not work for all.

Back
Top Bottom