Light penetration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vermonter310

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is there going to be a signifacant difference in light penetration between VHO and PC in an 20 inch high tank with a 4-5 inch DSB ??

Wondering weather I should go 260 watts PC or 440 of VHO.

Mike

Read the thread called "VHO?" in this forum. (page 2) It will offer of some advice. PC does penetrate water deeper but the two setups your talking about the VHO is putting out alot more wattage than the PC's so I would keep that in mind.

Your looking about the same amount of intensity from both, personally with the choices you give...I'd go with VHO, I think you can attain a much better spectrum with the wide selection of VHO bulbs.

Same intensity ?? Could you please expand on this?

I know the old watts per gallon adage has fallen out of favor but what is it, that "most important quality" I should be looking for from whatever type of light I get ? Intensity? penetration? what ? as it relates to a mixed tank of fish, low & high light requiring corals.
also,
when referring to corals light needs most everyone refers to moderate and high? what do these mean? can you have High light from VHO's and PC's ? what would be moderate and high for each? or is High not attainable for these and only a virtue of MH or $$$$$$$$ as I like to refer to them. If I'm getting the same intensity from 260 watts of PC as 440watts of VHO because they penetrate better, at what depth does this become a factor?
Where can I get some "good" information on this subject? I've done search upon search in this and other BB's and also searched the internet to really little avail. most of the recent posts(questions) on lighting are quickly shrugged off with a short sentence or a "do a search on lighting".
The more reading I do the more it seems to me that lighting a marine tank is Voodoo.....and it's painfully obvious that it's the one area that is being used as a huge $ maker for the retail industry at the moment. $175 for a ballast? come on.
Sorry for the rant...I've been reading about lighting every chance and in every place I can but everything I read contradicts everything else! the whole damn thing is driving me crazy...... :D.......short trip :eyes:

Thanks for any and all input.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom