Light Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

musicman77

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a finnicky anemone that does not like the shock of my hood lights coming on. My tank is in a very low natural light room, almost none. Is there a light controller that slowy brings up a light so I can switch my main hood lights on? Thanks for any help.

What kind of lighting do you have? There is such a thing as a dimmable ballast, but they're hard to find/expensive/won't run the types of bulbs you want, plus you'd need to still get some sort of lighting controller to do the actual dimming.

How about switching on the lighting in sets? Like Actinic first, etc,

I have one 36" 30watt coralife acting and a 36" 30watt coralife 50/50.
I was thinking of using a nother light just to slowly bring the light in the tank up.

60 w on a 92 gal tank shouldn't "shock" the anemone at all, it's actually much too low unless this is a non-zooxanthellae species. What species is it?

When lights go on or off for that matter, photosynthetic animals will usually react by closing. It's not always a sign of discomfort, especially in this case. It really depends on the species though.

Cheers
Steve

I think it is a white sebea. Its light green, almost white with purple tips. I am concerned, hes a very picky eater, he hardly ever takes krill. In the mornings hes puffed out and good looking and when I get home from work hes shriveled up. My three tank raised clowns will not give him the time of day. This is my first saltwater tank, I guess I am very paranoid of loosing fish.

musicman77 said:
I think it is a white sebea.
No such thing. If sold as such you where scammed. A sebae is either green/brown or grey/green. The white/yellow, white or lime green color they are often sold as is a result of near bleaching and not normal for them at all. Although they do have purple tips.

I am concerned, hes a very picky eater, he hardly ever takes krill. In the mornings hes puffed out and good looking and when I get home from work hes shriveled up. My three tank raised clowns will not give him the time of day. This is my first saltwater tank, I guess I am very paranoid of loosing fish.
Fish aren't your concern here, the anemone is. The fish will either take to a host or they won't TR or WC it really doesn't matter, they both act the same.

Over feeding your anemone can be quite harmful and damaging. Lighting is the main factor with these animals and they require much more intense light than you currently have. Large meaty foods are not something I would ever recommend anyway. With proper lighting they will do well enough without supplimental feedings provided there are fish being fed generally. With a bleached anemone and insufficient light, your first best option is to find a friend or local reefing club to house the anemone and nurse it back to health while you get the lighting necessary. For a 92 gal tank, this species of anemone would require at minimum 4x96w PC (possibley powerquads) or MH if the tank demensions do not permit conventional bulbs.

In the meantime, only feed small amounts of well fortified mysis heavy on [acronym="Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acid"]HUFA[/acronym] and spurlina. A good blender mush would do well but only feed about a ½ tspn 2-3 times a week. Gentley release a small amount of food near the anemone so water flow carries it through the tentacles. It will capture what it wants. If the anemone is in a state of decline, the tentacles may not be "sticky" enough but you need to keep at it as it will catch some. Feeding is by no means a replacement for proper light so be sure you find it a new home ASAP.

Cheers
Steve

I guess I am very paranoid of loosing fish.

Totally understood, but don't let this hold you back. Some of the best lessons you learn in this hobby are the result of mistakes.

--Aquabear

I had the same problem with my anemone when I only had my 4x65w pc lights. After adding the MH retros, he perked up and looks like a huge flower now. They do love the light. The only shock I have seen from these is during acclimation while adjusting to the lighting.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom