Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-27-2013, 12:39 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Light setting on tao leds

What level are you guys using for zoas? I have 2 of the Tao LEDs that are adjustable. I have been running them on like 10-20% for the whites and about 50% on blues. The only coral I have is 2 diff sets of zoas. they are almost directly under the lights. I have the blues on for 2 hours, then blues and whites together for 7 then just blues for 2 more.

Old 10-27-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chbix View Post
What level are you guys using for zoas? I have 2 of the Tao LEDs that are adjustable. I have been running them on like 10-20% for the whites and about 50% on blues. The only coral I have is 2 diff sets of zoas. they are almost directly under the lights. I have the blues on for 2 hours, then blues and whites together for 7 then just blues for 2 more.
If they start stretching toward the lights crank them up. I run 4 of them on 100% white and blue

Old 10-27-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Same, I have my tao on 100% for my 20 gallon setup and my Zoas are loving it
Old 10-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have 4 sitting on my 210 on 100% running 9 hours a day. They haven't burned up anything BUT i did very slowly ramp them up to 100% over the course of about 3 weeks. I had 3 250 watt MH with 400 watts of power compact actinics running before so they didn't have too much to acclimate to. Id say turn them up 10-15% a week and see how they do. If they start reacting well just keep ramping them up. Mine gained a ton of color when i went to 100% plus my anemones seem more inflated.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkey3425 View Post
Id say turn them up 10-15% a week and see how they do. If they start reacting well just keep ramping them up. Mine gained a ton of color when i went to 100% plus my anemones seem more inflated.

Agreed. Take them up about 10% weekly or so, and check your corals towards the middle to end of your 7 hour light cycle. If they're sticking up & look like they're "reaching", they're looking for more light.... If, towards the end of the light cycle, they look like they're retracting, then you've reached their limit & need to back it back down a bit.
Remember, anytime you add new corals, you will want to back your lights back down & re-acclimate them as well.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

For a new tank with no coral and no fish, would it be safe to start running at 100% or would you dial it back when you introduce new stuff and slowly bring back up to 100%?
Old 10-28-2013, 07:40 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morangus View Post
For a new tank with no coral and no fish, would it be safe to start running at 100% or would you dial it back when you introduce new stuff and slowly bring back up to 100%?
It's fine to run 100% with nothing in it but when you add new corals or anemones you need to back the lights down and slowly bring them back. Increase 10% per week until you find the highest light levels your species can sustain. If they bleach or close up drop the lighting back down and increase slower.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:43 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I purchased 2 tao's in January for my 55 gallon. I'm pretty heavily stocked with sps coral now and I max my white and blues out at 40% and have great growth with all my coral. I have the 90degree optics which are focusing the light. I'll never have mine over 40%.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:48 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

How could I tell if my AL09's have optics on them?
Old 10-28-2013, 09:03 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I run all four of mine with 90 degree lens on it at 100% on my 210 light really penetrates well with them but I'm 13" off the water with mine in a canopy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com