Light setting on tao leds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chbix

Aquarium Advice Activist
What level are you guys using for zoas? I have 2 of the Tao LEDs that are adjustable. I have been running them on like 10-20% for the whites and about 50% on blues. The only coral I have is 2 diff sets of zoas. they are almost directly under the lights. I have the blues on for 2 hours, then blues and whites together for 7 then just blues for 2 more.

What level are you guys using for zoas? I have 2 of the Tao LEDs that are adjustable. I have been running them on like 10-20% for the whites and about 50% on blues. The only coral I have is 2 diff sets of zoas. they are almost directly under the lights. I have the blues on for 2 hours, then blues and whites together for 7 then just blues for 2 more.
If they start stretching toward the lights crank them up. I run 4 of them on 100% white and blue

Same, I have my tao on 100% for my 20 gallon setup and my Zoas are loving it

I have 4 sitting on my 210 on 100% running 9 hours a day. They haven't burned up anything BUT i did very slowly ramp them up to 100% over the course of about 3 weeks. I had 3 250 watt MH with 400 watts of power compact actinics running before so they didn't have too much to acclimate to. Id say turn them up 10-15% a week and see how they do. If they start reacting well just keep ramping them up. Mine gained a ton of color when i went to 100% plus my anemones seem more inflated.

Id say turn them up 10-15% a week and see how they do. If they start reacting well just keep ramping them up. Mine gained a ton of color when i went to 100% plus my anemones seem more inflated.

Agreed. Take them up about 10% weekly or so, and check your corals towards the middle to end of your 7 hour light cycle. If they're sticking up & look like they're "reaching", they're looking for more light.... If, towards the end of the light cycle, they look like they're retracting, then you've reached their limit & need to back it back down a bit.
Remember, anytime you add new corals, you will want to back your lights back down & re-acclimate them as well.

For a new tank with no coral and no fish, would it be safe to start running at 100% or would you dial it back when you introduce new stuff and slowly bring back up to 100%?

For a new tank with no coral and no fish, would it be safe to start running at 100% or would you dial it back when you introduce new stuff and slowly bring back up to 100%?
It's fine to run 100% with nothing in it but when you add new corals or anemones you need to back the lights down and slowly bring them back. Increase 10% per week until you find the highest light levels your species can sustain. If they bleach or close up drop the lighting back down and increase slower.

I purchased 2 tao's in January for my 55 gallon. I'm pretty heavily stocked with sps coral now and I max my white and blues out at 40% and have great growth with all my coral. I have the 90degree optics which are focusing the light. I'll never have mine over 40%.

I run all four of mine with 90 degree lens on it at 100% on my 210 light really penetrates well with them but I'm 13" off the water with mine in a canopy

Back
Top Bottom