Light suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trk1616

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm thinking of turning my FO into a reef. I've got a 45 g tall and I think have a 10 W light (i know, i know). Anyway, how much would I be looking at to get the proper light and about how much light (90-100W)?? Also, any good recommondations where I could get one?

Thanks,
TK

With a 45g tall you'll need quite a bit of light, as it's deep.

Really depends on what you wanna grow in your reef? SPS, LPS, softies? Since it's going to cost a few hundred $$$ I'd do some careful research on what you want to grow first.

You can look at my gallery if you want, that's a 55g standard with Power Compact lighting.

CF lighting is only good to about 18" of depth so if you go that route you may have to use a DSB or keep your corals higher up in the tank.

jaiden: Since your tank is pretty deep, he's saying that the DSB would atleast elevate everything in your tank and bring it closer to the surface. With your conertank being pretty tall, you'll need some extra strong lighting. I would suggest a MH suspended from your ceiling over the tank. That would certainly give it the proper amount of lighting that a deeper than normal tank would require.

HTH

If you wanted only softies and such you could do PC'S but with a tall tank growth woul be very slow. I would do at least 175 MH. That would allow you o keep most everything except Clams and SPS unless they were up a little higher on the rock.

Back
Top Bottom