Light upgrade question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IhaveNemos

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi folks!

I just upgraded my lights from 2x 175W Mh 20k to 3x 250W MH 10k and, 96 W Actinic. My tank is 135G is a hair under 2' deep.

I read a long time ago about "phasing" the lights in so acclimitize the corals, but the specific details elude my memory.

For now, I'm just shortening the MH times from 8 hrs to 4-5. Does anyone remeber the specifics, or will I be ok with my "plan"?

There are many ways to do it. If you get some kind of mesh such as bridal vail you can put layers on eggcrate below your lights and remove a layer a day. It is really simple.

Shortening and working your light time up can work but be careful to go slow and monitor everything.

Mike had a good suggestion, just don't get it too close to the MHs. You could also up the lighting by 1 hour a week or so.

I`ve always recommended starting off 4 or 5 hrs a day and then moving up to more hours slowly.

melosu58 said:
I`ve always recommended starting off 4 or 5 hrs a day and then moving up to more hours slowly.
Over what peroid of time? Just curious, I wasn't sure on the week thing, I just like to be cautious.

Cool, I wasn't 100% sure on corals, but I read it in a few posts. Thanks again, Mel!

Back
Top Bottom