Light vs, Heat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EVMIII

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 48" HO T5 (2 white 2 blue) specific wattage unknown on a standard 55 gallon tank. Tank has been set-up since 1 Jun 11, but I just added my first two soft corals so the llights have been on for 6 hours each day. It seems to be raising my water temperature a couple degrees ( starts at 79 and gets as high as 83). My temp sensor is only a couple inched from the surface so its probably a little cooler at the bottom. 2 questions:

1. Is this kind of swing harmful to anything? Fish (one 3 stripe damsel and 2 orange clowns) and corals ( a couple of very small green mushrooms and a stump of leather toadstools) all seem to be healthy and happy.

2. If so,what can I do about it? How can I reduce the water heat without reducing the light? The light is about 7 onches over the surface in a wooden canapy.

No crisis because all seems well, just trying to prevent any future issues.

Thanks

Bud

Is your wooden canopy fully enclosed? You could try adjusting the ph's so that the water circulates from top to bottom. Just realized your temp swing is within range so I don't believe it will harm anything

Don't know if you have glass lids on there, I took mine off and now my tank only goes up 2 degrees with lights, it used to go up more!

Only drawback is I'm adding two gallons per day due to evaporation.

You could also add a fan..

No glass or aything to diffuse light. I was wondering if I needed to add somerthing.

If the canopy is enclosed, it could do with a set of push/pull fans to remove excess heat. Another option is turn your heater to 81, that way when you shut off the lights, your heater will hold the tank at 81.... Won't harm the fishies either

how high is the light from the surface of the water? you might want to keep it at around 4-5 inches above the waters surface.

has your house temps been kept consistant or do you have your AC off?

Thaks all. I have adjusred the heater to keep the tank 81 to avoid as big a temperature swing. My canapy is enclosed on three sides (open in back) so I will look into a small fan to move a little heat. That part of the house stays at about 77 degrees this time of year. (AC is definetly on). I am also going to add anothrt PH down the road to curculate the water a little better. I'll keep a close eye out. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom