light went out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flareef

Aquarium Advice Newbie
greetings, I just found this site or else I would have been here sooner.My question is, i have 2-250w m/h's.1 bulb blew out.I kinda like it, it ads a little dimension to the tank. it looks like a side veiw of some kinda ledge or overhang.my corals have looked this good in a while.I have just ordered 2 brand spankin new 20000K bulbs I am currently using 10000K I was thinking of putting 1 20000K bulb where the blown bulb is and leaving it for a while. is this ok or does sombody see problems in my future.

WELCOME TO AA!!

I don't know too much about MHs, so I will digress to the experts, on that subject. I just wanted to welcome you to this great site!

Actually, I'll get this moved to the general Hardware/Equipment, where it will get better attention.

The answer to your question is in the placement of your corals, and how much light they will need. The lights have roughly a 2 ft footprint, (the area that gets effectively covered by light). If you have corals that required high intensity lighting, then yes, they will suffer for this. If not, you could probably get by.

thanks hara, do you think its to drastic switching from 10000k to 20000k bulbs?the reason I,m doing this is because I,m having a heck of a time with different types of algea taking over my tank, and the bulbs I ordered only offered 12000K and 20000K. I didnt know if the 12000K's would tone down the spectrum enough. I mostly have soft corals. a lot of tree's, button polyp's,a wellsaphyllia,and some black hole polyps. there is a blue crocea clam in there also

You need to make sure the clam is under the direct light. Personally, I use a mix of the 20 and 12k bulbs in my setup. The 20 in the middle and a 12 on each side. I too, like the bluer affect.

If you look here:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=88273
you can see that the corals do not suffer from the useage of a higher color spectrum.

I hate to say this, but I really dont think changing color spectrum is going to prevent algae, the stuff is quite adaptable.

Nice tank! what kinda sand is that? do you have any suggestions for my algea?Ihave a 75g with approx. 75 turbo snails and maybe 20 or 30ish hermits. the main problem is caulerpa( did I spell that right), my sailfin tang died recently but he didnt really eat it the way the guys at my LFS said he would. I use 2 450gph BIO-wheels and I do 10gal. water changes every weekend(or so).water changes and chemicals pretty much keep me from being able to afford skiimers, chillers,and other multi-hundred dollar components that I would like to have.so are there any poor man remedies you can think of?

So you are just having problems with macroalgaes (like caulerpa) instead of algae on your glass you mean? The best means of getting rid of macroalgaes are manual removal and reducing excesses in your water. What is your nitrate reading? What chemicals are you adding to your tank? They are most likely not needed, and might be contributing to your macroalgae issue.

Welcome to AA, btw.

The sand is Tahitian Moon sand...thanks for the compliments on the tank.

If it is caulerpa, then as DT said, manual removal and low nitrates are the best way of removing it. As she also mentioned, there is really no need whatsoever for chemicals in your tank. Unless of course you are referring to test kits. Water changes give all the chemicals you will need.

Back
Top Bottom