Lighting!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From everything I have read on forums I don't think it's actually a good choice for corals. I would put your money into something you know is going to be suitable and that you will be satisfied with and you won't have to upgrade. I have learned the hard way and have spent money on equipment that I and my tanks have outgrown. Even the term "reef capable" seems a little sketchy.

It's not, hence why I said it's poor quality.

What is your price range if you don't mind my asking? There is an LED bulb on a site I know, you could use about 3 and cover the tank easily, but they aren't very cheap

I thought Gregcoyote made a good point about LEDs but the led that I was looking at was around 350 so around that price

Keep looking. Ask about warranty. Count the number of LEDs and take note of their wattage. I have seen fixtures with 130-150 mixed blue and white 1 watt LEDs for $200. I use three of them on my 300 gallon reef, replacing 1200 watts of metal halide. Do not make the mistake of not getting high output LEDs in at least the 1 watt range, that is where they can get to you.

Look here then: Nanotuners.com

It's a single bulb (hence why you'd need three) 5 LED system, very potent.

If you don't like those search rapidled.com or boostled.com for their PAR38 bulbs

My reef is 18 years old. 300 gallon, 200 lbs of live rock, algae scrubber, the works. I have maybe 30 old metal halide bulbs I have used over these years that I need to dispose of in a proper manner. That is why they have piled up. But it made me think about how much money they represented in replacement cost and energy bills over those 18 years. Much, much more than the cost of a LED array had they been available that long ago. Especially in a nano reef where heat buildup is a critical issue.

The Nanotuners model recommended is a very nice light, but only rated at 21 watts. That would be equivalent to about a +100 watt metal halide. Perfect for a small tank, but I would use at least 3 of them for a 55 gallon and more as the tank size and depth increases. I use 350 watts of LED lighting over my 300 gallon and I had to tone it down at first because they were brighter than the 1200 watts of metal halide I had used for years.

The Nanotuners model recommended is a very nice light, but only rated at 21 watts. That would be equivalent to about a +100 watt metal halide. Perfect for a small tank, but I would use at least 3 of them for a 55 gallon and more as the tank size and depth increases. I use 350 watts of LED lighting over my 300 gallon and I had to tone it down at first because they were brighter than the 1200 watts of metal halide I had used for years.

I advised using 3 earlier, not only for the size but these come stock with 40 degree optics, which are very spot-light like

But 600 PAR at 18" is strong no matter who you are

Back
Top Bottom