Lighting!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Manny2123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm in the process of setting up a 40 gallon breeder and I need opinions on lights. I want to go with a marineland led reef capable light 36" but not sure if all my corals would grow well enough under this lighting. Should I just go with a safe bet and get an aquatic life t5 or just a t5 in general?? Need opinions!

Definitely the T5HO, those marineland LEDs are garbage and are a waste of money, IMO

Maybe a fishneedit.com fixture?

I just upgraded from a 30 hex to a 40b. I have 1 ecoray60d and plan to get a second this weekend. For anyplace where the light drops off i also have ecoxotic
stunner strips for fill in and low light corals. Its an initial expense but the leds last longer and they have dual cords so i can have the blue and white lights on seperate timers.

Wow, I'd love to see that set-up, must've been pricey though.

I'm sure it looks amazing though, I almost upgraded my Biocube lights to 6 stunners

Yea I keep getting mixed reviews on those LEDs. Seems like a t5 is the safer route but just love how sleek and low wattage doesn't produce much heat and how the dusk dawn effect look on those LEDs seems like it's about the par more than the wattage now. What about the reef capable along with stunners? Or the t5 with stunners?

Unless you have several stunners over a 40G it won't make a difference. Getting a nice 4-bulb T5HO would be great for you

Sunlight supply Tek makes higher-end fixtures. They don't include bulbs though. If you wanna go really high-end look at ATI or Giessman fixtures

I don't like them because they're a more well-known and accessible company that is putting out a poor quality LED fixture that plenty of people will buy and have poor results. It just bugs me that their out their for the money and not the quality really.

I don't have any experince with the leds nor do i know anyone with them but the aquaticlife t5 are IMHO are the best bang for buck both and quality and ease of use. I have two set up one 30 inch on a 55g collum and a 48 inch on a another 55 long. I know of 3 others personal friends who use them and have switched to them that enjoy them u can't beat the timers and o e cord feature. I have lps sps mushrooms and polyps they have all grown and done well under the setups.

End if you enjoy the dusk and dawn effect i use a single 50/50. That seems to do well.

I have the Current USA Nova Extreme Pro T5HO and I love mine it was the only one I could find that would fit on a 55g width wise and have 6 bulbs in it.

Bavass what's your opinion on the leds

I have never used them, I was at a fish store this past weekend and they had some set up on a frag tank and I was suprised. I looked into them some when I got my T5HO last year and I am not sure if the have the PAR rating nor the different bulb types. I like being able to try different combo's. People that have them really like them.

yea most likely going to go with the aquatic life but ive read that the reef capable leds are not as good as they say they are

One thing I looked for was what light will go all the way across my tank with out sticking out front and/or back. The Aquatic Life is a very nice fixture and I think you will really like it. I also went and did a google search for reef lighting on a 55g and looked the images

There are many great LED fixtures for coral growth out there. It is a simple matter of physics as to the PAR output and the spectrum. In many ways they are the simplest lights we have ever seen in the hobby...they are just different. Much superior to any florescent or ballasted fixture I have ever used in my 25 years of reef keeping. I have posted about this many times before with links to inexpensive, coral capable LED arrays. One note of caution, the good ones are so bright, begin with them hung twice as high as you would hang the equivalent metal halide to avoid coral bleaching. Look for fixtures that have either 1watt LEDs or 2watt, mixed blue and white. Even more sophisticated mixtures can also be supplied. 150 1watt LEDs equals a +400 watt halide.

so the question still remains is the marineland reef capable a suitable led? is the par output good enough on this light fixture?

Back
Top Bottom