Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-17-2004, 01:46 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to jester Send a message via Yahoo to jester
lighting

OK i have been thinking of making my fish only into a reef tank I have a 60g with 2 25 watt bulbs for now can someone tell me what kind or actually where to buy a fixture for my tank also will i need to get a chiller cause the lights are so hot I have about 47 inches long for the fixture i have a canopy on the tank to keep the cats off it thanks also I was looking at compat flourecents would 4 of them be good enough for reef lighting

my tank for now is a 60g with a little live sand and then just play sand I got 80 pounds of live rock now I have a wet dry with no bio balls and a protein skimmer and uv steralizer I have power compacts 260 watts I have 1 damsels 1yellow tang 1 flame angel one yellow strip maroon clownfishand and a feather duster and a bulb anemones that the clown lives in and colony polops and some kenya tree corals and 2 fire shrimp snails and hermit crabs and some other crabs

i just got a 40g with like 6 inches of live sand and it is loaded with corals and inverts it was given to me by a friend she had it for 3 years there is a brain coral wellsophyllia and a platygyra brain worm coral green striped mushrooms and red mushrooms yellow colony polyp and button polyp and some type of hard coral not sure what it is also alot of kenya tree oh ya and 2 giant star fish
jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 02:19 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

what kind of coral are you thinking about keeping? this will determine what lights you will need.

Old 02-17-2004, 02:50 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I really have no clue dont know much about anything yet
my tank for now is a 60g with a little live sand and then just play sand I got 80 pounds of live rock now I have a wet dry with no bio balls and a protein skimmer and uv steralizer I have power compacts 260 watts I have 1 damsels 1yellow tang 1 flame angel one yellow strip maroon clownfishand and a feather duster and a bulb anemones that the clown lives in and colony polops and some kenya tree corals and 2 fire shrimp snails and hermit crabs and some other crabs

i just got a 40g with like 6 inches of live sand and it is loaded with corals and inverts it was given to me by a friend she had it for 3 years there is a brain coral wellsophyllia and a platygyra brain worm coral green striped mushrooms and red mushrooms yellow colony polyp and button polyp and some type of hard coral not sure what it is also alot of kenya tree oh ya and 2 giant star fish
Old 02-17-2004, 10:41 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
4 96W 36" PC bulbs would give you 384W of light over the tank. That should give you enough light for most of your common corals. HIgh light corals could be kept toward the top of the tank and lower light corals could be kept at the bottom and somewhat shaded by the rock or other corals.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 07:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was thinking of getting pc lights from dr foster and smith they are 4 bulbs 65 watts and 47 inches long I cant fit the 36 inch ones cause of the 12 1/2 inches wide it wont fit but the 65 watt 7 1/2 will fit I was wondering if the length would make up any of the wattage diffrence thanks for the replys

Old 02-17-2004, 08:22 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
IMO, you'd be better off to go with a DIY hood and a retro kit. Have you checked with www.ahsupply.com ? They have PC retros and also offer enclosures in different sizes. Another alternative might be a DIY hood and a T-5 retro kit. You really need to go with 96w bulbs if you use PC's because they are 34" long...perfect for your tank. The T-5's are available in a 3' length as well.
Old 02-21-2004, 02:38 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a canopy now but i only have 48X8 1/2 to work with the with is making it diffacult to fit i am still lokking so I take itthat 260 watts wont work welll thanks let me know if any one has anymore info

Old 02-21-2004, 02:45 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am looking at the coralife power compact aqualight retrofit it comes with 2 true actinic 03 blue and 10,000 daylight compact fluorescent lamps the bulbs are 65w for a total of 260w will this be good or know thanks

Old 02-21-2004, 03:19 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

also will i need a chiller with 260w of light thanks again

Old 02-21-2004, 10:10 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Take a look at a dual metal halide retro. You will probably need some fans but the light should support most anything and a 48 inch length is perfect for 2. Only real issue might be the reflector if you went mogul based, so I would look at HQI(double ended) Just a thought, it may be overkill for what you want or for your wallet. MH are great but they are a bit pricey to start..

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com