Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am about to buy 5 more of the basic models, 2 for a friend and 3 for a 135g I'm building, while I like the timer I don't think it's worth the $40 up charge , I would reccomend optics though. I'm glad I put optics on mine, even if you get 120 deg optics, I think it's worth doing. I don't have any par numbers to back up that feeling though. Also I would reccomend more blue LEDs than white LEDs. Because anytime you use the dimmers to adjust the color that's making your fixture less powerful, these fixtures are only 110w to begin with, I want to use all the light I can. I don't want to only have either my whites or blues at half power to get the color I like.

Sorry to hijack your threat mlord. :D

Who here has the taotronic led? Im having a problem on mine because one is brighter than the other one when both are set to min.

I am about to buy 5 more of the basic models, 2 for a friend and 3 for a 135g I'm building, while I like the timer I don't think it's worth the $40 up charge , I would reccomend optics though. I'm glad I put optics on mine, even if you get 120 deg optics, I think it's worth doing. I don't have any par numbers to back up that feeling though. Also I would reccomend more blue LEDs than white LEDs. Because anytime you use the dimmers to adjust the color that's making your fixture less powerful, these fixtures are only 110w to begin with, I want to use all the light I can. I don't want to only have either my whites or blues at half power to get the color I like.

The 90 deg optics makes a big difference in a deep tank.

I think most would have the whites and blues at 100%, unless you were lighting a shallow tank or keeping softies. I am currently keeping Acropora happy 30" away from these.

I think most would have the whites and blues at 100%, unless you were lighting a shallow tank or keeping softies. I am currently keeping Acropora happy 30" away from these.

I believe if that was the case the dimmable models would not be as popular as they are, your not going to be able to use a controller or anything with these lights so the dimmer could really only be used to change the color by dimming either the blues or the whites. To minimize this get a fixture that has the ratio of blue and whites that you like and run them at 100%.
Me personally I have 40 blue 15 white , and I run my dimmers at blue 100%, whites at ~95%.
So on my next fixture I may get a couple more blue LEDs or I may do full spectrum with a couple reds, uv's, greens , warm whites, cool whites ect. I'm not sure yet.

They are cheap, low wattage, and grow corals just as good as any other fixture out there. What control did you want that you wouldn't get with these? If you are thinking cloud cover, lightening storms, powering up and down gradually morning and evenings, those things are no help to photosynthetic creatures.....they are simply for your own enjoyment. The necessities are most certainly covered.

They are cheap, low wattage, and grow corals just as good as any other fixture out there. What control did you want that you wouldn't get with these? If you are thinking cloud cover, lightening storms, powering up and down gradually morning and evenings, those things are no help to photosynthetic creatures.....they are simply for your own enjoyment. The necessities are most certainly covered.

No you misunderstood, or I wasn't clear, but it doesn't matter, it's all good. They are great lights and so far in my experience I can't say enough good things about them.

Back
Top Bottom