Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-29-2012, 06:13 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lighting?

29gal, 40lbs live sand, approx 25lbs LR, 2 azure damsel's, 1 lawnmower blenny, chocolate chip starfish, blue tuxedo urchin, + red hermits and Margarita snails, 1 torch coral Frag(chocolate chip starfish doesn't mess with it); bak-pak protein Skimmer, aquaclear 50, 1 Koralia 550gph powerhead. Question, with my marineland double bright LED fixture, will my torch coral grow and be happy. I plan on getting a new fixture as soon as the money is available, I've had the torch for more than a month. Its still alive but hasn't grown much. And my lighting times are as such: 630am-630,730pm, should I cut back on my time? My ppm are; ammonia: 0.25ppm, PH: 8.0-8.4, n02: 0, n03: above or around40ppms. My tank has been running since march. Please take into consideration my profile, and my....**** its late, bed time!!! More info needed PM me or just reply=;/

mikestanked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:55 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I believe I just posted on your flow thread so seeing that you already have a coral I assume its gonna be a reef setup lol but since its a reef id suggest roughly 30-40x turnover rate in the tank (low end being Softies higher being sps dominant). The nitrates your reading are also an issue and are probably why you are seeing stunted growth imo. Without running a fuge and macro you'll have to remove trates manually (water changes). Also for your lighting the marineland "reef capapable" leds are on the very low end for reef lighting which will also attribute to the slow growth

Old 06-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Fyi its not a marineland reef ready fixture. I plan on upgrading in the near future, I've done 2- 15 % water changes in the last 4 days, and plan on doing at least 1 before Sunday, to hopefully lower my nitrates, and ammonia

Old 06-29-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I will research the web to find a 30-40 flow rate, because your answer was not quite clear, thanks bunch for responding, and any other info/ help....will....help?

Old 06-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

By flow rate I mean total gph being.moved in your tank (powerheads, circulation pump,return pump, filter, skimmer) should add up to that
Old 06-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ummmm.......... Why do you have ammonia????? Did you cycle this tank? Any ammonia is harmful. Your ammonia and nitrites should always be 0. Nitrates below 10.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by crister13
Ummmm.......... Why do you have ammonia????? Did you cycle this tank? Any ammonia is harmful. Your ammonia and nitrites should always be 0. Nitrates below 10.
I was thinking the same thing. My tank was nothing but sandy water with rocks for weeks before adding anything. Started getting tired of feeding an empty tank, but its been so easy compared to my fresh water fish in cycle! Glad that's over with!
Old 06-29-2012, 08:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm very confused also, my tank has been running since march. I asked my local LFS what the deal is and he said it took his 5gal reef about 8 months to fully cycle, also my girlfriend has been feeding them way to much food. I'm talking every day a whole cube of mysis, brine, etc...separately of corset. That's probably the reason for the very low level of ammonia. But I tested my water frequently during the cycle process and my LFS allowed me to proceed with adding livestock(anything to make a few extra dollars, huh) this might explain why I have lost 4clowns, 1 lawnmower blenny, and numerous chromis

Old 06-29-2012, 09:26 PM   #9
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

how often do you do water changes ?

Quote:
my girlfriend has been feeding them way to much food , I'm talking every day a whole cube of mysis, brine,
Theirs your ammonia issue

Quote:
he said it took his 5gal reef about 8 months to fully cycle,
Think you may have misunderstood think he may have said it will start to mature in 8 months

0 ammonia is ideal anything else is harmful
nitrite should always be at 0
nitrate 0 - 10 but the closer to 0 the better
ph I prefer in the 8.0 - 8.2 range some go higher
temp 78 - 80 is ideal
average lighting 6 to 8 hrs
Old 06-29-2012, 09:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tell your girlfriend to leave the feeding to you because she's going to kill everything. I feed every other day what the fish can eat in about 15-30 seconds and they're growing and look great and fat.

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com