Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snowdude

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have florecents. I would like to add moon light and possibly get better lighting. Any suggestions? I would like to have an anemone and some corals in the future. But right now i am concerned about the comfort and stress that the Florecesnts may be causing. Id like to get moonlight so that it can go on first for a while before the main lighting goes on, and do that same at night. And is it ok to keep the moonlight on all night long?

thanks

Yes, it's ok to keep moonlights on all night. Orbit makes a pc fixture with moonlights build into it, I'd check them out if you looking to get everything in one fixture.

It depends on your tank size. I have been shopping around like crazy for lights. I finally picked up a set of JBJ 4X65 (260w) PC lights for my 55 gal. So far everyone has told me that the lights will be fine for any type of coral. Some people have told me that you will need MH lights to keeps clams and such, but my LFS said that I can keep anything with that setup and he had the chance to sell me a $800 MH setup so I believe him. Plus the specialize in Reefs setups. :D but take it for what it is worth I am still a newb.. I am just passing on the information that was given to me from what seems like a reputable source.. HTH. :mrgreen:

Here is another good set that is fairly cheap they have 3 moon lights unlike the JBJ and come with true 03 lighting as well as 10,000K

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4300239749&ssPageName=MERC_VI

It really depends on what corals you want to keep. Anemones require a good bit of light and will do best under MH. You want to have a tank that's at least a year old to add an anemone...they are difficult to keep alive. For soft corals, the PC setup will be fine. If you want to keep SPS corals, you'll probably need MH or more PC's.

you had better be real sure you dont want sps or carpet anemones before you skip over the metal halides. i originally had vho...200white 200 actinic for a total of 400watts. then i got hit with the sps bug. had to switch over to MH and boy was that an expensive upgrade. i wish i had used the money on the vhos for the MH. electricity bill wen through the roof too...fyi :)

just got a quote for a 36" long 4x96 watt daylight and moon light. They want $440.00 for it? is this a good price? are there any websites that offer a discounted price?

thanks

Is that a retro or a full hood? Is it a current USA or Coralife hood by chance?

I think you could save a bunch of money by buying the individual components and building your lighting system yourself...if you're into that sort of thing. For a 4x96w hood with moonlight, $440 is pretty close. Although he is "the competition" :mrgreen: , I would suggest talking to Darin at Captivereefs about PC hoods before you buy one. His pricing is really hard to beat on these lights.

money

its not totally unresonable, but ill bet you can find it for less. you could opt for the more expensive metal halides... a 2 bulb set up from marine depot that can run 250 or 400 watt bulbs costs 573. you'll end up spending 200 more when all is said and done and you'll have 5x the lighting system. here your options will be relatively unlimited. the potential for 800w in a 65 system is ridiculous, but hey, why not?!!!!

http://marinedepot.com/aquarium_lighting_metal_halide_fixtures.asp?CartId=

hope this helps some
joe

nutrak said:
you had better be real sure you dont want electricity bill wen through the roof too...fyi :)

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I was wondering just how much the MH lights cost to run. I was looking at the cal, but I just wanted a real life example. Thanks...

$440 for 4x96 watt pc sounds about right. I was was goign to go with 2 96 watt pc and build me a hodd to put it in and it was about 175 with out shipping. then found a lfs that sold me a coralife hood with 2 96 watt bulbs for 200. and did not have to pay shipping on that. then i just took every thing out of it and put it in the new hood. but when i was looking in to the mh diy i was looking at about 450-550 for 2x 250 watt set up. that was just for the mh not the pc or vho.

what to buy

Halides are relatively expensive. i live in boston and My lights cost about an extra 40-60 dollars a Month i think. i cant really break it down for you...but 3 400w radiuMs and 300w vHo cost about that MucH. probably the lower end...witH My 10 powerHeads, puMp, waveMaker, skiMMer etc....iM sure its total 75 bucks. 150 reef, tHat is. totally wortH it thougH. good luck and i Hope you Hake the right decision for yourself and your tank.

(tHe autHor of tHis Message is not sending subliMinal Messages)

Back
Top Bottom