Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

turboTSI

Aquarium Advice Activist
OK I am setting up a 55g reef..... and I am going with

Coralife 260watts-includes two 21" 65watt actinic and 2 21" 65watt 10000K bulbs

do u think that is a good setup to have a well thriving reef setup in a 55G?

Dave

I just upgraded my 55 to a 90 gal. but I had the same setup 260 what PC . You can keep soft corals such. zoos and shrooms. You won't be able to keep sps corals. I just changed my lights to 2x175 MH and 2 110 VHO and it looks nice. I love the shimmering effect of the water with the MH :D

ok can u show me where I can buy that setup.. cause I want to invest in a nice lighting system but I would like to stay at or below 300.00

Dave

You really won't be able to find MH for 300. You maybe able to some used. I just paid 700 for mine. You will still be able to keep a lot of corals, just not hard corals. Some say you may be able to keep them as well.

If you can retro fit your own setup, you can easily get MH for under $300. Go to Hellolights.com and look at the kits they have. Many will run over the $300, but others can be done for less. It really depends on how finished you want it and how much you are willing to do yourself.

I just did a quick look and the 175w retrofit kit is $135 and the 250w retro kit is $145. You will have to add a bulb to that cost, but that should still be far below the $300 mark.

what is the difference between the 250w u mention and the 260w I mentioned except that I get 10more watts?

Dave

You could do (2) coralvue 250 watt retro kits at $199 each. The coralvue kits come with ballast, bulb and reflector. or a coralife 260 watt PC retro kit for $182. The also have the 48" aqualight for $199 and the lunar aqualight for $259. If you want just a basic reef with some liverock and simple softies than PC'S will be fine. I have alot of customers who bought aqualights from me and run successful reefs with them. You just have to be selective in what you keep. Metal Halide will allow you an alomost unlimited choice in corals. Although you may have a heat issue with a 55 gallon. There is positives and negatives to each but i think dollar for dollar MH is the best system to have.

turboTSI said:
what is the difference between the 250w u mention and the 260w I mentioned except that I get 10more watts?

Dave

It's not the wattage. It is the depth penetration of the lights. MH lights penetrate deeper the PC or VHO lights will. You can get a MH light under 300, but you will really need to supplement with another light such as VHO or PC. I have 2x175 5500K MH and 2x110 VHO 03 on my 90 Gal. That gives me 6.3 watts per gal, but you really can't use the wattaage per gallon measurement.

On a 55 Gal you can keep a good amount of corals with the PC lights because the tank is not that deep.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom