Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
By the looks of it, no I don't think it would support corals. If you could find out the wattage of the individual LEDs that would be helpful. Or the PAR reading on them? I wouldn't purchase this light...

By the looks of it, no I don't think it would support corals. If you could find out the wattage of the individual LEDs that would be helpful. Or the PAR reading on them? I wouldn't purchase this light...

+1 I see nothing on that page that indicates they would keep even the lowest light corals

I tried this exact light, it burned out within a month of installing. The guy did send me a new one that I haven't re-installed. As for corals, I didn't have anything but low light corals at the time. The problem is you have to pretty much seal the back of it from being able to get water on it with silicone or salt water will get in it and short it out. That is a suggestion in the instructions, not a requirement. I did ask him some questions about PAR level, etc and he had no clue. Long story short, I wouldn't recommend it, although I've got a brand new 9 ft strip I'll make you a good deal on.

Ya I'm not going to get this light. Thank you guys for the feedback. Saved me money!!! But what are the best lights you would recommend?

Yep that's not gonna work. I've looked at those exact lights. If you cheap like me, I ended up getting a xen-lux 120 Watt led fixture off eBay for about $130. It works great and is just like the taotronics but it doesn't have a dimmer. I haven't had any problems with it.

The best are probably the AI SOLS but they are very pricey. There are a lot of threads on here. Check out reef lighting the best bang for your Buck on here.

TaoTronics TT-AL09 Dimmable Coral Reef Tank Light Led Aquarium Light 120w 55*3w Seperate Knobs Cords;Blue:White 28:27;two-year Warranty

Would 1 be fine for a 55 gallon tank?

I know there is huge thread about lighting. But what is a piece of lighting for a 55 gallon tank? Something sorta cheap but does the job

What do you want to keep in this 55? How much is "cheap"? You could get a 4 lamp T5 HO fixture pretty cheap.

That's true. My tank is 3 foot so one light does mine perfect. T5 HOs work great you just gotta buy bulbs for it every so often. Led pays for itself lasting 5-10 years. Maybe you can find a bigger led fixture if you don't want to get 2. Those t5s add up over time especially 4 of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the t5 HO lamp fixtures what colors would you need for the lamps? Like all white? Or half white or half blue?

I'm looking to just have normal beginning corals nothing to hard to keep

I would go two 10k and 2 actinic. Like Paul said, you'll have to replace the lamps yearly, but you could keep all the softies and LPS you want.

No, I don't think they are any good either. Def not the black light, it's not a disco! Like Mr X said aim for 2 x 10k and 2 x actinic. eBay would be your best bet, they would be cheapest. I honestly think the LEDs are worth it in the long run tho. Replacing those T-5s every 6-8 months at $20 a pop x 4. I have just made the change from T-5 after my first globe replacement! Just my opinion...

You know that add says you need to buy x 10 to get the discount ? FYI if you do go down the T-5 road you should aim for 54w tubes :)

Back
Top Bottom