Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-05-2004, 11:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Lighting

This may be a stupid question.

You all seem to have like 6 bulbs in your tanks of various sorts. How? All of the tanks that I have ever seen, all take only 1 bulb per hood.

Old 07-05-2004, 11:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

most have canopies on their tanks ! so ya can run 2 mh on each end in the middle and lets say 2-4 vho bulbs down each side of the mh

Old 07-05-2004, 11:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

not that i would know to much but........... lots of people retorfit the hoods to take more lights, or different types of lights, what kind of bulb is it like a floresent type or is it a hailde bulb? just because a properly sized halide bulb could be all that a tank of the right size would need, but usally on higher end types of light fixtures using floresnt bubls have more than just one
1 Domino
1 lawnmower Blenny
1 YellowFish?????
3 Serpent Seastars
1 Pepermint Shrimp
1 Camel Shrimp
1 Coral Banded Shrimp
1 Huge Snail
moejoephd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 10:56 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
The standard hood that you get at your LFS with your tank is unable to support the high output lights required to keep a reef. These bulbs are what we refer to as NO florecents. There five main types of florecents. You have the low output NO bulbs, then you have HO bulbs for High Output, VHO for Very High Output and PC for Power Compact. PC bulbs are also refered to as CF or Compact Florecent. The final type is relitivly new to the market and its classified as T-5. All of the florecent bulbs except th NO florecents require a special ballast. If you put a VHO bulb on a NO ballast for example you wont get the high output benifits of the VHO bulb.

You can get prebuilt canopy/hood units that support VHO, T-5, or PC bulbs or you can build your own enclosure and implment whats called a 'retrofit kit' that includes ballst and often wiring and endcaps. You would instal this in your enclosure.

I wont go into details about MH but its more or less simular in that you can get a prebuilt canopy or build an enclosure on your own and install a retro style kit.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 04:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I wont go into details about MH but its more or lessVlamingi tangs are an excellent addition to any large tank. When full grown they can reach 18 inches in length. They are voracious eaters and can dominate more timid tank mates. It is one of the more bold tangs that I have had in the 11 years I have been keeping marine tanks
hehe...huh?
Old 07-06-2004, 04:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

what i thought as well but think it was ment for another post
Old 07-06-2004, 05:25 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Vlamingi tangs like MH lighting.. you heard it here first!

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 08:18 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Opps. A nasty case of CTRL+V and not realizing i pasted what was in my clipboard. Ill edit mypost so as to not overly confuse someone.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 12:12 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thats OK fishfreek...everyone needs a little humor everyday. Thanks, I got mine today.

Mike

5-6 Inch Sand Bed-200+ lbs of LR
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com