Lighting.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Triggersgalore

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have an 8 foot tank and I am putting t5 lighting on it and I was wondering if I got one 48 inch and mounted it in the middle would I be able to grow corals?

That is not going to be enough light for very much. I would use two 8x54 watt fixtures over an 8' tank.

Nope. It would be very limiting. You have an 8 foot tank. You really need 8 feet of lighting, not 5. That's what that 6' fixture has in it, 5 foot lamps. Not to mention, the 4 lamps limiting you. I would want 8 lamps, and since they don't make 8' lamps, you need two 4 foot fixtures.

If you are going reef, and you are dead set on T5's, you want two 48", 8 x 54 watt fixtures. You could also get 4 LED pendants at about $150.00 or so a piece.

I would love to get the LED fixtures but I don't have that kinda of money. Maybe somewhere down the road I can upgrade. Do you think the LED or two 48" t5 would cost less?

What do you think you are going to spend on proper lighting for that tank? Lighting is one of the most important components. You aren't going to light that tank properly for a couple hundred. Even the 8 lamp T5 fixtures are going to run you about 200 a pop and then you need about 300 in lamps.
You are better off spending the 600 or so for the LEDs and never have to change a bulb.

Back
Top Bottom