lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZoozFishMaster

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been recently researching some Hamilton Lighting retrokits. Some websites say that a lens should be placed between the lights and the tank to prevent any splashed water from coming in contact with the bulbs or fans. I thought that most reefers do not have anything between the bulbs and the water. Is the lens necessary?

Also what distance do most people keep the metal halides above the water?

The problem is that water will splash up and since the lights are so incredibly hot, they may crack or break when they come in contact with the much cooler water. At roughly 80 bucks a pop for a bulb- you would be advised to get a lens. Just don't use glass b/c it will filter out some of the light spectrum needed for a successful reef. Good luck!!!

I like the idea of the lense just in case a bulb does break. Whether it is from splashed water or a bump from me. The lens will keep the broken glass out of the water. Just be sure to keep it clean as salt will build up on it.

Thanks for the replies. If I were to go with the retrofit kit, what could be used as a lens and how would I mount it? Thanks.

get some acrylic or plexiglass from the hardware store. mount it with anything inert. i would even use lock-ties, but it is better if you can remove the lens with ease for cleaning's-sake.

Back
Top Bottom