Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-10-2005, 10:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Lighting

My friend is setting up a larger tank and upgraded to MH's. He asked me a question and I don't know the answer since I have only had PC and VHO from day 1. I know that a lot of MH's usually run with atinics, and his setup has something different than anything I have heard of. He has a 150g like mine except it's 29" high (mines only 18"), anyway, he's got 3 400w blue? (I'm not sure if thats right, but it's what he said) 20,000k and 4, yes 4 110 VHO bulbs, 2 are white atnic and 2 are blue atinic. To me that seems kinda weird to have that many VHO's but, I don't know much about MH's. His question is can he run the halides by themselves during the day and the atnics only in the morning and at night??? He said that the MH's already have the blue spectrum's, but then why the VHO's? I know corals need the blue spectrum, but what I can't answer is if the MH's already have that. I always thought you needed both the atnics and MH's??? Can someone explain this to me?

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 10:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to gooyferret Send a message via Yahoo to gooyferret
Yes he can run just the 20K MH during the day and run just the attinics shortly before and after the MH turn off. 20K MH bulbs will give off plenty of the blue spectrum for corals. IMO its not even nesscary to have the VHO'S at all. The MH will produce plenty of light for any corals that he may want.

Old 05-10-2005, 10:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hmm, I wonder y they gave him 4 VHO's then. And I wonder y they gave him white atinics. I meant to say 20k, ha ha . Thanks for the help

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
Old 05-10-2005, 10:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

NP thats why this forum is here to help others! The VHO's cant hurt any but IMO they are not needed. My 125gal has three 250watt MH with 20K bulbs and corals love it in there! HTH
Old 05-10-2005, 11:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

yeah thats a lot of wattage! at 5 watts per gallon thats enough for 328gal!

I personally use 720 watts total for my 75gal... oh well

I bet that tank will be beautifully BRIGHT!
Old 05-11-2005, 12:08 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

well you cant always go by watts per gal that isnt always that accurate. But yes that will be a very bright tank eye blinding. It will look great im sure though.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:09 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thats what I was thinking. Here's a question. How many watts per gallon when you are using metal halides, let's just say for a 180 24" deep? I know that depth plays a part but I like I say I don't know much about MH's.

Old 05-11-2005, 12:12 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I am toying with an eventual upgrade in tank and I want a deep tank but I DON'T want too much light. In your opinion what would be enough MH's to "get by"?

Old 05-11-2005, 07:35 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Remember that each MH covers approximately 2 feet, so if the tank is 6 feet long you will want 3 to have good coverage. Depth does play a big role with any lighting. For a 180G tank that is 24" deep, I would recommend either the 250w or the 400w. There isn't a big difference in price, but you will want to consider the heat factor, and a canopy that will support them. 8-9" off the water is recommended. I built my own 15" canopy to support my 2 MH, which still offers intense lighting even at that height with the safety of having them off the water a bit.

Mike
Old 05-12-2005, 12:40 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks man, I wondered about that. We are eventually doing an in wall and I want to get a 180, but my husband is pushing 210 either way we will need MH's correct?

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com