Lighting 55g reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hardparts2

Aquarium Advice Regular
Im really stuck on my lighting .I am thinking of getting a Current USA Orbit 48" 4 x 96 Watt Power Compact Strip Light W/4 Lunar (Lights 384 watts) but I can get 2 250 watt MH retros(500watts) for 10 dollars less with bulbs.The orbit seems nice because I can set it up on timers for light cycle with the MH I will have to buy seprate set up for Actinics. Would 2 no 40 watt actinics work?And Im worried about the heat as I plan to have a cover on the tank. Would having the MH 10 inches above the tank with fans take care of the heat?I only have so much dough to work with Im already at 1200 bucks. I would like some advise please.

Thanks Bob

Bob, You dont have a money tree out in your backyard. :D When I had my 55 with canopy I had heat problems also. I believe that the fan will definitely help. I had VHO lights on mine, I know the MH will be warmer but like I say fan will help. I think your PC`s will be good also. The wattage looks OK. Not much of a lighting expert though. Hopefully others will chime in.

Im thinking on using 2 175 MH with 10ks and 2 no 40 watt actinics would be the best bet . would I beable to keep an Anemone under this lighting? And thank you very much for the info.
Heres what I want to keep Soft Corals, Lps, Anemones,Polyps, Mushrooms, few fish

Lando, can I keep anemone and soft corals with a Current USA Orbit 48" 4x65watt powercompacts?
Actually, you would be surprised what will thrive under that lighting. My first reef tank was a 38gal with 4x65watt CF fixture. I was able to keep mushrooms, leathers, polyps, a brown maxima clam, xenia, several species of LPS corals and a rose bulb tip anemone that thrived very well in my tank. The size/depth of your tank will make a big difference.

Back
Top Bottom