Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nøjo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I try to avoid asking the same questions that countless other people have, but I can't find the answer on here and hopefully someone can help me out.

I am taking the plunge soon with my first saltwater tank, and am aware of most everything I need except for the lighting. I am aiming for a reef tank with plenty of LR, coral, and hopefully an invertebrate or two. I have a 60 gallon, 48x18 tank with nothing else so far until I get the lights sorted out. The guys at the LFS are excellant, but weren't really able to tell me too much about lighting. Specifically, what is the main difference between using compact fluorescents and metal halides? How many watts am I hoping for, and what sort of price range am I looking at? I know that lighting is not something to skimp out on, and I'm hoping to get a really good understanding of what I'm buying as let's face it....lights aren't cheap. Any links to recommended online stores so I can price out an option are two would be very helpful.

I know this has probably been asked a few times already, so if anyone can link me to the answers it would really help out. Any advice or a push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Lighting really depends on what you want to keep. For most softies like mushrooms, polyps, leathers and for most LPS corals CF lighting will be just fine. If you have interest in keeping clams, anemones and SPS corals MH lighting should be considered as these animals demand stronger light. MH's advantage is that is originates from a more focused point and is more intense. This will give you better light penetration into the tank and will reach farther to the substrate.

If you are going with a reef tank, I would suggest MH as it will not limit you on what you would like to keep. Or, there are companies like Coralife that make a 48" unit that has pc/MH combined with fans built in. This would be a better alternative as it would give you the dusk/dawn effect with timers.

WPG is just a general rule. I would be more focused on the quality of lighting rather than intensity IMO. With MH, you won't have to worry about WPG.

You're correct. never skimp on the lighting for a reef.

Check out the sponsors on this site. Or, PM Darin with Captive Reefs and see what kind of deal he has on them. HTH

Mike

Is there a danger with having too much light with some corals? I guess an easy answer would be to move them in the shade if possible, but if not will they burn or perish? How does going with MH affect fish or invertebrates? I'm hoping to keep my options open as clams and anenomes are ridiculously beautiful, yet I'm wary of the overkill.

I have 2 250w MH and a 4x65w pc, which gives me 760w over a 120 gal tank. This is not overkill, but it allows me to change the tank to a reef without having to buy additional equipment.
Since your tank is 48", I would get either the MH/pc combo, or you could do 175w x 2 MH since your tank is 18". Each MH covers 2 feet. If you want to have clams and/or anemone's successfully, I would suggest MH. Otherwise, you might end up making two light purchases rather than one as many of us have done. :)

Mike

From a lot of the research that I have been doing, a tank's success lies more heavily on superb circulation rather than lighting. Just a thought!

I think it is a combination of both. A reef tank needs excellent circulation as well as excellent lighting for growth.

Mike

Is that a reliable make? When I went to the LFS today the guys told me that they can't beat the price of wholesalers, nor even come remotely close, so looking online is definately something I'm focusing on. Thing is, I wouldn't know a good MH setup if someone beat me to death with it. Any tips/pointers on what I should be looking for? And is there a limit to how much wattage you should have in a tank, or is the more you have the better?

Brenden that link in particular looks too good to be true - the best I can do here is over $1100 CDN, so if I wind up paying only $300 US I would be so happy I'd name my first born child after you.

I bought retro kits for my tank from captivereefs.com so I have no experience with that brand. Lando says he has had no issues yet. I saw that you posted on his other thread. How much lighting you need depends on what you plan on keeping. 5 watts per gallon is the general rule. As far as your first born..Brenden is my sons name. My name is Brian. Be sure you spell it with a "I" :lol:

Back
Top Bottom