lighting advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltcreep1025

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 55g tank and I just want to keep soft and some of the other easier corals. Im wanting to spend about 300-400 bucks. what do u guys suggest i get?

ty much
rossv

Custom Sealife moonlite/power compact hood. Awesome light and the moonlites are so cool! We currently have free shipping on these units

Darin

www.captivereefs.com

See our current specials in the sponsor special forum!

I'd probably look into a CSL Power Compact hood with moon lights. My price on that is about (without looking it all up) $250.00 and you might beat that by shopping around. That will give you 4x65w PC lamps, moonlights, and fans all installed in a hood that doesn't look bad at all. You'd be able to keep about any of the low/medium light inverts with that setup on a 55 although you might have to be careful about placement...higher light inverts close to the top.
If you are willing to buy/build a canopy for the tank, you could save some $$ by going with a retro kit of some sort. I think you could come in just under the $400 mark with a pair of 175w MH's and a 2x65w PC actinic by doing it that way. Or, if you wish, you could go with a PC or VHO retro kit in a canopy. I'm thinking the best deal for you would be the CSL PC setup given what you want to keep and what you want to spend. If you think you'd ever want to start keeping some of the higher light inverts though, you'll be better served to go ahead and invest in a MH system. Having been there, I can tell you that it stinks to spend a ton of cash on a lighting system, decide you want a clam or some SPS corals, and find out you're going to have to drop more $$ to upgrade the lights even more.

Having been there, I can tell you that it stinks to spend a ton of cash on a lighting system, decide you want a clam or some SPS corals, and find out you're going to have to drop more $$ to upgrade the lights even more.

Just done did that.. Not fun.. I'd say check Ebay for Mh retro kits your can usually pick up a nice MH retro for about 200.00-300.00 with VHo bulbs and then your going to have to pay 65-100 for ea MH bulb.. But I will say that it is worth it because as soon as you get into corals you will see stuff that you want only to find out your lights won't support it.. Its better to buy once than twice.. I have spent about 900.00 total making this mistake... www.Petsupplyliquidator.com has a hood setup that is 6x55watt PCs for about 325.00 plus shipping.. It seems to be quite nice on a 55gal as its the old one that I am getting ready to retro some MH lights into..

HTH,
JAmes

what do you guys think about the one that is a 175w MH with 2 35w actnic pcs???? how much better would that be than 4 55w pcs?

thx for the help guys

I would say that the 47" Metal Halide Light, 2 Fans
hood from http://www.petsupplyliquidator.com/htm/aprod_hood_mhpc.htm

You could go with either the 2x175watt or the 2x250watt You might want to email them and see if it includes the MH bulbs.. whatever you do if you go with MH bulbs you are going to want 2 of them either 175watt or 250watt.. Myself I chose 250watt due to the fact that I know I am getting a bigger tank real soon..

HTH<
James

Beware of the bulbs that come with most MH fixtures too. They are usually 5500k which isn't really what we want for reef tanks. Most folks use a 10000k bulb with either PC or VHO actinic.

You can get an awesome MH retro kit at aquaticlight.com

I would recommend a 12,000K Sunburst. Awesome actinic color instead of a yellowish color like some other bulbs...

Back
Top Bottom