Lighting advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tjm80

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 4 bulb T5HO fixture, currently with 2 actinics and 2 10000k bulbs. One of my actinics just went out and they are all original with the fixture and I've been meaning to get replacement bulbs anyway.

What are some suggestions for mixing up the bulbs? Should I stick with the same mixture of 2 actinics and 2 10000k bulbs? What about 20000k bulbs?

The owner of the LFS I trust most suggested a 50/50, an actinic, and 2 10000k bulbs. I don't even know what a 50/50 is. I'm pretty sure that's what he called it.

Anyway, I know there are 2 highly recommended brands to get. I'm open to any and all suggestions!

Anything more than 10,000k have a blueish look. Before buying, I suggest seeing them on, as they're not cheap.

i'd go with ATI or KZ brand, but rather the the actinic go with two blue plus a purple plus and a aquablue special

i have KZ lamps and my combo is 2 super blues 1 fiji purple and a new generation daylight, which is 14000k in color so it has more of a blueish white color. i really like how it colors up, its a light blue with a slight purplish ting that brings out the reds and yellows in corals

Well to update you, it wasn't the bulb that was out. It was a bad ballast. Called up the manufacturer and they sent me a new one free of charge! (I thought customer service was a thing of the past!)

I didn't realize the ballast was bad until I put in the new bulbs. But the ballast came in today and replaced the old one and put in the new bulbs you recommended and let me just say there is only one word to describe it. Awesome!

The 2 blue plus, purple plus, and aquablue special made the few corals I have POP. Looks like a whole different tank!

Back
Top Bottom