Lighting (again!!!!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phyl

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm [still] looking to be able to keep a more diverse livestock in my 120g tank (24" high). I've found a 2x150 with 2x96 actinics (Coralife 48" Aqualight Pro). Is this enough light to light my 24" of water and have some sort of cool clam on the bottom? With my 4x65s that would give me 750w of light or 6.25wpg.

Also is anyone using this fixture? Does anyone have it directly over glass? I'd like to put it in my canopy and it does fit (just without the legs. I don't know how tall the legs are).

Retrofitting lights into the canopy is ideal. Makes getting into the tank a lot easier. For a deep tank, you can use 10,000K on both the daylights and the actinics. This will help the spectrum reach a little further down from what I understand of it.

6.25 wpg should be just fine for clams.

Phyl, I'm not sure if I understand what you are asking correctly, but do not place metal halides directly over glass. You must provide a pretty good gap between the MH and glass canopys or risk having the glass shatter.

This fixture is in a self contained hood. Does that not matter? It has legs (but nowhere can I find how tall that makes this unit). It says that you can use the hood without the feet, but it doesn't specify glass or not.

The aualight pro is a good set up but for clams you may want a little more than 150 watters in a 24" deep tank. Hamilton makes a good MH hood with dual 250's and 96 wat PC acinics in it that would give you all the light you would ever need and allow you to keep anything. It is also cheaper the the Coralife fixture.

Ok then I'm back to needing to modify my hood in order to put the light fixture in it. Ok! Thanks gang!

Back
Top Bottom