Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-24-2008, 05:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Lighting/Algae Question

I have been searching through numerous articles on the war on algae. I have had a problem with algae for a while now. It seems like I take two steps forward and five back. So I ended up following the advice of the fantasy reef article and I think I have it under control for the most part but I have a question about my lighting. I have a 150w 14k Metal Halide light for a 30gal tank. DO you think that this light is to big for my tank. I have the HOB Viper HQI which also come with a 70 watt bulb. What would your suggestion be for lighting in my tank.

Thanks in advance

Rambo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular
I have another quick question. Right now my aquarium does not have a powerhead in it. The only circulation in the tank is being provided by a hang on back filter and a hang on back protein skimmer. Would not having enough flow in the tank create a better opportunity for algae to grow? Thanks for any advice.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:22 PM   #3
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I dont think it`s too much. How long are they on during each day? Another problem is when they talk about lighting they are talking about older lighting. The older a bulb goes it`s spectrum will shift causing algea to feed off the different spectrum. If for example my VHO`s are supposed to be changed every 6-9 months and I wait and still have the same bulbs in there after 1 1/2 yrs then the bulbs are too old and have probably had the spectrum shifted. JMO. You keep using that FR formula and you`ll be OK on the nuisance algea.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 02:27 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I would add couple of small power heads, maybe Koralia 1's placed to create a chaotic water flow.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 05:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular
I ordered a Koralia one and should hopefully get it middle of next week. I definately think that I have a lack of water movement.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to mrrrkva
Your lighting is fine for that tank, watch your water temp. What kind of corals in your tank? I would definately say you need more flow

Check out my webpage!!!! Click on marine life!

mrrrkva is offline   Reply With Quote

algae, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com