Lighting and Algae - Drats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Up until recently I was using the standard hood with a 30 watt 50/50 bulb. No problems with algae at all.

As I switch over from FOWLR to reef I upgraded the light to a Coralife fixture with 1 -96 watt 10K & 1 - 96 watt actinic and a few tiny lunar lights. The 10k is on for 8hrs and the actinic for 10hrs. Brown algae started growing on my substraight and glass IMMEDIATELY! Within days my lr is turning green.

Any suggestions?

Let it run its cycle, buy some more snails!

IME there is nothing you can do during a lighting change other than sit it out.....in a month or so it will get better!

SeeDemTails is right, be patient. Also, try to reduce your phosphate input: frozen foods that are not well rinsed, source water, and fish foods that contain fish meal should be avoided.

I had the same problem, when I upgraded my lights. I reduced the lighting cycle, from 10 to 8 hours.

Feeding daily in small amounts. For a newby its hard to tell how much is just enough without starving the critters.

I feed every other day. I like to feed no more than they will eat in 3-5 minutes.

Been feeding mine every other day for nine years now. No algea in 7 years. Feeding plays a big part in algea. Fish will be ok feeding every other day IME

Feeding every other day huh. Wow maybe that's why my fish were so fat, I fed everyday twice a day. Will be reducing to once a day when they all get here though.

Back
Top Bottom