Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-17-2005, 10:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Lighting and Anemoe?

hi guys,

i have a fowlr tank 55g, going well housing 2 percula clowns a humbug damsel and a yellow tailed blue damsel.

i want to start keeping anomie (sp?) but all i have is a POWER-GLO fluro tub for the tank.

is this sufficient to keep 1 anemia? or do i need to upgrade to metal halide?

thanks guys

Old 09-17-2005, 11:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Konrade
no, normal output fluorescent aren't even good enough to house corals let alone anemones. You will have to upgrade to halides or other high output lighting.. Also you must have EXTREMELY good water conditions and do not have a great survival rate. Also your tank should be about sixth months old or more.

Old 09-17-2005, 11:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

ok great thanks for that.

looks like i've got some saving to do
Old 09-18-2005, 12:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
Stuquarium, you can do a custom MH lighting setup with 2 bulbs for around, 2 ballasts 2 bulbs and a reflector or mogul, and an extension cable for around 300 dollars . You will need around 4 watts of power or more per gallon. I just built my own lighting for my 37 reef tank that I am in the process of cycling, and it cost me 150 becuase i only needed 1 bulb and 1 ballast, reflecter and mogul. Not only does MH make your water look amazing but you can grow anything you can buy pretty much. As long as you have a decent skimmer and do your regular water changes you can easily keep an anemone. MH will be the best thing you have ever done for your soon to be reef tank. Good luck!
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 10:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

thats a good idea dragonforce

i'm uterly hopless at DIY though, don;t even own a power drill, so even taking off the old lighing from the hood would be a challenge!

i think i'll have to just save up, i can get a decent MH setup here for about $590AUD

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com