Lighting and heat generation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tecwzrd said:
IME it doesn't work that way unless the room temperature is unusually high.
I only recommend the "setting to match high temp" in rooms with controlled variables i.e. AC, fan, ect...

Moving water/glass are not good insulators of heat and heat loss is fairly quick. (Ever take a "hot" bath and notice it's tepid after just a 1/2 hour).

Is most cases with AC, fans, ect... you shouldn't notice temp swings that great when setting your heater to match.

If there is no heat dissipation from the temp difference between tank/room then you will have to find alternate means of cooling your tank during the day/night.

N = C + {fb(cm) . fb(tc)} + fb(Ts) + fc . ta Just kidding :p That's for making a good bacon sandwich.

Kurt_Nelson said:
. I think it all depends on the temp differential between your tank and room. For some people, it might work. For others, it would just keep elevating the tank temp.
Very good point. I raise or lower the temp of my tank in the summer and winter, to correlate to room temps, and minimize temp swings. Also FWIW, heaters are lousy at shutting down completely in high temps. IME, w/ 2 different heaters, they would always drive the temp of my tank up when MH come on(approx. 2-4 degrees higher than without them). I had to put them on timers, so they shut off completely during the day. W/ fluorescents it was not as much of an issue.

Back
Top Bottom