Lighting causing heating problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishAddict413

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am in the process of converting my 125G FOWLR to a reef tank. I just upgraded my lighting to 4 48" VHOs. The problem is it raised my temperature in my tank to about 84 degrees. It used to be consistently at 80 or 81. What temperature is too hot for a reef tank with some fish? I have a clown, goby, dwarf angel right now. I do not want to spend the money on a chiller so my question is what fan would be the most efficient to cool down the lighting? The tank is 60" long and I was looking at 3" or 4" clip on fans. Does anyone have experience with these and what brand is the best? Thank you for you input.

I personally think it might be room temps. I have 4 160 watt VHO bulbs and dont have any heat issues. It looks like you are using 4 ft bulbs on a 6 ft tank?

I think that is at or close to the upper limits of a reef setup. I keep my tank at 82 degrees max. I let my tank fluctuate between 78 and 82 degrees. I use to run a fan and that helped out. If you are hitting 84 degrees now, just imagine when summer comes around. Like I said try a fan blowing over the water. Just remember that you will get a good amount of evaporation and that water has to be refilled daily with fresh, not salt water. I got an ATO from autotopoff.com and have had good service with them, but there are many DIY setups around.

The 125 gallon tank is a 6 ft tank. Unless they make a 125 5 ft tank also. I would think you need to lower that. What is the room temp in your tank room?

Ok I see on another thread that he has a 5 ft 125 so I guess there is. You learn something every day.

Last edited:
And BTW the key to temps is stability. As long as temps are stable within a degree or two you`ll be OK. I would try to get it around 78-82 though.

Back
Top Bottom