Lighting Colors and Kelvin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nautafish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am replacing my 4x65 watt PC with 2x175 watt MH and 2x54 watt HO 03. I have a mixture of fish and coral in my 75g, 48" tank. My question is between the two MH lamps, what K rating should I get? I was thinking of one 13K and one 20K. The LFS said the 13K was really close to bright sun light and the 20K gives off a tinge of blue. Otherwise I was just going to get both in 20K. :D

I wouldn't mix the MH bulbs because your tank will have one side more blue than the other. What most folks use, if they have actinics, is 10k bulbs. A 13k bulb is nowhere close to sunlight...sunlight is about 6500k and has a yellowish tinge to it. The 10k bulbs will give you a white light. 20k MH's with actinics, IMO, is going to be VERY blue and I doubt you'll like the looks of it. My advice would be to buy your bulbs online and start with 10k bulbs. I think you'll get a much better price on your bulbs that way. Be suspicious of advice from the LFS...they don't always know what they are talking about. JMHO.

Loganj, thanks for the info. I will probably use the MH for daylight use and the 03 for Dawn/Dusk use. Is this ok? If so, should I get both the MH at 10K?

For the record I usesd a 14 k in between two 10 k bulbs and it looks funny. I'm going to go back with a 10 k in the middle with my actinics.

Looks like I am sold on getting both the MH at 10 K to start off! :)

You can start the actinics earlier than the MH and let them run later if you want to for the dawn/dusk effect. Don't turn them off when the MH comes on though...leave the actinics on.

Back
Top Bottom