Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-18-2004, 05:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

lighting comparison vho vs. power compact

I already have a 90 gallon tank with a canopy setup with a icecap 660 and 4 x 110 VHO. The icecap ballast is capable of running 4 x 96 watt Power Compact. Should I convert from 440 watts of VHO lighting to 384 watts of power compact lighting.

Thanks

Old 11-18-2004, 05:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Supposedly the PC lights last longer (12 months) vs. VHO. Can't make a claim either way.

PC is great because its easier to fit more bulbs over the tank.

xenia, mushrooms, wels. open brain, fungia radiata (orange), green eyed zoos

flame angel, mated pair of false perc, 6-line, firefish

20gH electric yellow cichlid
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 05:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think it is up to you, but the PC lights are more expensive but last longer. I alos have heard that the VHO are more true to the deep actinic color and the PC tend to be a little more washed out. I do not have VHO so it is just what I have read and heard.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Skennelly
I hope I think I understood you right...You can run PC lights off of a Icecap 660 ballast? I have the same setup and hate the VHO lights for one reason...they are big and take up all of the room I have. I would love to run PC lights as I have 2 icecap ballasts...I only have room for one set of 4 VHO bulbs....If this is the case then I can run 2 ballasts and have enough room for all of the lights!!
Old 11-18-2004, 07:17 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
My personal opinon is to stay with VHO. I have both VHO and PC. I first had PC and loved them and then got the VHO. Both used the same specitrum 2 X 10K and 2 X Actinic. I like the color apperance of the VHO better. I also replace my PC bulbs every 9 months. There is a noticable color shift after 9 months to where I feel my corals are at a disadvantage if I left the bulbs for another 3 months before I replaced them.

I am currently at 10 months with my VHO bulbs and I dont plan on swapping them out for another two months.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 11:43 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
I just wish I could do something with my second ballast that is just sitting waiting to be used. I am very limited on the room I have under my canopy and if I were to hook up the lights (even 2), I would not have anough room to even stick my hands down into the water. Literally the light are 2 inches off the water and the canopy is about 3 ft from front to back...arg!
Old 11-19-2004, 01:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Fishman,
You understood me correctly. If you go to the Icecap homepage they have a diagram of how you can use the 660 ballast. It can handle up to 4 x 96 watt power compacts.

http://www.icecapinc.com/flapp.htm

It also shows you a wiring diagram here.

http://www.icecapinc.com/aq.htm
Old 11-19-2004, 03:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have used VHO in my config, viewable in my gallery. Can't mess with success.

GL
Old 11-19-2004, 03:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I had the same question: VHO vs PC
I found this article:
http://www.championlighting.com/e/en...ucts/Lighting/vho.html?link=/Products/Lighting/aboutlight.html

You'll have to copy and paste link

It shed some light for me...

-Logan
Old 11-19-2004, 04:26 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the link....I'm starting to get happy about the VHO's I have.

Tags
light, lighting, power compact

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Clammage! | pods »